• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma spec. "Bolivia Gold".. - A. cf "Cristal" or A. luelingi ??

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all..

I bought this wild Apistogramma spec. "Bolivia Gold" from Aquarium-Glaser in 2013..( maybe coming from the Puerto Maldonado-area???)..
I guess it is a A. luelingi-"type".... Unfortunately , I add my only pic of the "dad"/male (now dead) to my remaining 2 females (F1)..!!
The only similar Apisto I can find to purchase/order now is A. cf "Cristal" .. from a Czech breeder..

Anyone who knows if my A. spec. "Bolivia Gold" is the same Apisto as A. cf. "Cristal " ?? (Maybe catched at the same locality, but sold under separate names??)
..or is it a "pure"/"Terra typica" A. luelingi that I have ..(which may then differ from the cf. "Cristal" ) ???

Any help to sort out this problem is much appreciated !!

Here is a pic of my A. spec. "Bolivia Gold" !!

Attachments

• 1129.JPG
    1129.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 759

MickeM

5 Year Member
... I just searched some info on TomC and Martins website and found the article by Mike W..

ApistogrammaSpecies List
By Species-Groups/Complexes
August, 2011

http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?PageId=118

..A.-cacatuoides-Group

..it leads me to the info on A195- A. luelingi .. which ought to come from Rio Mamore or Rio Madre de Dios..- in Bolivia/or bordering Bolivia.. if I get it right??
.. so...can this name A.spec."Bolivia Gold" then indicate that my fishes probably are any of these A. luelingi ??? ...

..since the A 196- A. cf. luelingi is originated from Puerto Maldonado- in Peru !!?? Correcto ??:)

.. or is this A. spec. "Bolivia Gold" another cf. luelingi someone here knows anything about??..

..Mike ??.. or anyone??.. can you help me out...??:):rolleyes:

Cheers,
Micke

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, I still have breeding pairs of Cristal that came from fish I brought back from Peru in 2012. Looking at your male, the shorter front dorsal spines (than on luelingi or cacatuoides) lead me to think it is Cristal. I just need 2 questions answered to be more comfortable with this ID:

1: How old was the male when photo was taken?

2. Do the females have round caudal fins or a squared-off/truncate fin, possibly with short top and bottom tips?

MickeM

5 Year Member
Thanks for helping me Mike....!!

1: The male in the pic was approx. 4cm/ 10 inch. I think he was approx.1 year old in this pic..(2-4weeks after purchase)
Unless this is a "cold-water"/"slow-growing" Apisto-species , I think I am quite correct in my guess.. but ofcourse , I might be wrong!!;)
The "spawning-pair" from these wild specimen died last summer/autumn , 2015 !
They spawned and got fry several times in "low-tech"+"tap-water" tanks with pH 6,5-7,5 !!

2: I would definitely say that the wild mother of my 2 (now alive) smaller females (1,5-2cm/5 inch.).. had squared-off caudal fin + the tips!!
It`s harder to tell when I try to have a look at the smaller ones..:)

(BTW.. I`m now trying to find any of the people who bought some F1- fry of these.. on auctions here in the Stockholm area!!:()

MickeM

5 Year Member
Good to know Mike ! Awesome.. Thanks!!
(I promise to fix+send your family an autograph from Peter Forsberg #21 ..if I ever see him in this town!!, I read an early thread of yours the other day!!;) .. "This is a small town"/country you know!!))

I may buy a couple of the "Cristal" from the Czech breeder then.. to create a spawning-group !!
But if they are not "exactly" similar/identical to my 1st pair I will not mix them!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….