• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma pertensis

MacZ

English language sources are scarce.

From what I can gather from all info I can access in all languages I understand it's a pretty standard blackwater species. The overall rarity in the hobby tells me also, that you will likely not find any accustomed to tapwater.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
We do not know where the holotype form of A. pertensis originates. There are many different forms/species labeled A. pertensis. They vary in water values needed depending of which form you get. Those from the Rio Negro are blackwater species, those from the Rio Tapajos are clearwater species, those from the Madeira and Tefe are a mixed black/clearwater species. None of the forms are considered "commercially profitable", so rarely seen in the hobby except as contaminants/bi-catches with other fish.

English language sources are scarce.

From what I can gather from all info I can access in all languages I understand it's a pretty standard blackwater species. The overall rarity in the hobby tells me also, that you will likely not find any accustomed to tapwater.
Gotcha, I found wetspot selling them captive bred but I’m going to keep the tank soft and acidic, would around 5-6 pH be good?

MacZ

Oh, I thought they just put the water they keep them in, I’ll email them later
No, usually online retailers put in a short summary of the ranges of water parameters (Temp, GH, pH), rough description of behaviour and needs and that's it. Often they blatantly copy the text from an outdated book or fish lexicon website. When you're lucky and the shop is specialized on something they add more info.
But one of the things you have to ask separately is what water they are holding them in. Some retailers keep all fish in the same tap, some have a high pH and a low(er) pH section. The few excellent ones have actual softwater and hardwater sections in their warehouses.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Wet Spot is pretty communicative, actually. You can't just order fish without an email exchange. But you can email the sales address even before placing the order. They will do their best to answer your questions. I would ask for temp, pH, TDS.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 11.30.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 11.30.00 AM.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 105

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Can I recommend that you pick some sources and start with availability? There are around 100 species of Apistogramma alone that are described, but only about 20 or 30 that you can likely get.

MacZ

Can I recommend that you pick some sources and start with availability? There are around 100 species of Apistogramma alone that are described, but only about 20 or 30 that you can likely get.
I agree, this approach is the more promising than chasing a rare jewel for months. I mean I also did search for a certain species for over a year, but in the meantime I kept some more common fish.

Rene Winckler

Hi! I was wondering if you guys have any info on apistogramma pertensis? I’m looking to get a pair sometime in the near future
Hi there, I kept pertensis in the mid 80s when they showed up at an importer from Brazil. I kept them in rain water with a pH of 5,5 over 5 generations or so. They are pair breeders and have a very well developed social life, with pairs defending their spots rather vigorously.
I am sure you are going to enjoy them as much as I did.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….