• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Morado

A

autarkeia1

Are there any special needs of Apistogramma Morado that differ from the the rest of the apistos? How easy/hard of a fish is this to keep?

Thanks.

Neil

autarkeia1,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Morado is a new pebas complex fish that is similar in requirements to A. sp."papagei". They are fairly easy to keep, but much more difficult to breed. I have an article on the breeding of papagei on Apistogramma.com called Apistogramma Deathmatch 2000, which indicates a fairly high level of aggression :twisted: with fish in the complex. So that would be your main concern.
They do prefer their water pretty soft and acidic, but seem to do fine in more neutral conditions.
Good luck; they are an awesome fish! 8)
Neil

A

autarkeia1

Neil said:
autarkeia1,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Morado is a new pebas complex fish that is similar in requirements to A. sp."papagei". They are fairly easy to keep, but much more difficult to breed. I have an article on the breeding of papagei on Apistogramma.com called Apistogramma Deathmatch 2000, which indicates a fairly high level of aggression :twisted: with fish in the complex. So that would be your main concern.
They do prefer their water pretty soft and acidic, but seem to do fine in more neutral conditions.
Good luck; they are an awesome fish! 8)
Neil

Thanks for the information. I have a new 50 gallon tank I am setting up currently. My water is soft but my PH is still around 7.5. I would like to house two pairs of Apistos in there. I really like the morado and also triple red cockatoos, will these work in that size of tank with the above water conditions? Thanks again for the information.

Neil

autarkeia1,

Your tank should be fine to house both species. Make sure that ther is structure in the middle of the tank, so that territories can be established on opposite ends.
If you are planning to breed these fish, your pH will probably be OK for the cacatuoides. But you will need to lower it quite a bit for the Morado. Husbandry for both species will fine as is.
Neil

Dirk

5 Year Member
Hi,

here in Germany I never saw the morado. Neil, do we have some photos in the internet?

Ciao
Dirk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….