• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma luelingi questions

Matías

Greetings!
Please, I want to know:
Why my male Apistogramma luelingi aggressively chases around my female from the same species all the time?
Where could I get more info about this specie? (Web links or books)
And what would be the ideal aquarium size for an Apistogramma luelingi couple or trio?
Thanks!!

garcia

5 Year Member
My male chased all the luelingi in the tank and still does, except one female that came into breeding color, they have bred in a 20 gallon tank with a ph of 6.4 and like 0 hardness..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most books on dwarf cichlids discuss A. luelingi. The behavior of your male is typical for a polygamous apisto with no need to protect its territory from other males. If he only has 1 female in his territory (the entire tank) and she is not ready to breed, the male will try to drive her out of his territory (the entire tank) in hopes that a female will appear that is ready to breed. I suggest that you remove the male, re-arrange the decor of the aquarium so that there are 2 distinct breeding territories, add 2 females to the tank, and after the females have picked breeding territories then re-introduce the male.

Matías

Thanks to both of you for your answers.
I'd specifically like to know the height, length and width you consider ideal for an Apistogramma (trio) tank.
In my country it is quite difficult to get cichlid books, to this day I haven't found any. This is why I'd like a few title book suggestions to be able to buy online. Useful internet links would be great as well.

regani

5 Year Member
a site with good information about a fair number of species is http://dwarfcichlid.com/index.php, another very good site is http://apisto.sites.no/slekt.aspx?gruppeID=1

a good book in English that is fairly readily available is Dwarf Cichlids by Staeck and Linke. more difficult to get is the volume I of the Mergus Cichlids Atlas by U. Römer, volume II is more readily available but contains only the more recently described/discovered species.
other people may have some more suggestions about books worth getting.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The minimum tank size for me is one with a 75x30cm bottom area. The height is not as important. Apistos rarely use water above 25-30 cm deep. You might use something smaller if it is decorated extremely dense with plants, wood, etc. but you would not be able to see the fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….