• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma for community tanks?

Neil Groves

Hey guys....

i'm new to this forum and indeed keeping Apistogramma....

My question is can I keep these little fish in a community tank and still expect them to breed and raise their young?
Primarily I just love the bright colours of these little fish and will enjoy just sitting watching their antics but I also
hear they can breed in the aquarium but my concern was the other community fish would eat the eggs/fry, that being the case I would set up a tank just for them which brings me to stocking levels, my immediate thought is to use a 45g corner tank or a 55g standard aquarium with 2 females and 4-6 males, can I add more than that? my first purchase will be Apistogramma Agassizii for red/orange colours and Apistogramma Pulchra for blues....

Can someone please give me an idea for what I need, can I keep these two types of fish in the same tank and maybe a third one down the road?

thankyou

Neil.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My stock answer (some here call it my mantra): A community tank is not a breeding tank.

That being said, yes you can keep apistos in a properly decorated community aquarium with well delineated territorial boundaries for each cichlid. Yes, they will breed and (at least try to) raise fry in a community tank. Success depends on the other fish in the community. In a typical community of fishes you'll be lucky to raise more than 3-6 fry from a spawn. If you restrict your community to only species that are not predatory on eggs/fry, then your community tank becomes a breeding tank. The number of specimens really depends on the aquarium size, how it is decorated, and the apisto species. Personally, I would choose a ratio of 1 male / 2-3 females for most species.

Reactions: LDP

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….