• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cruzi "Rio Mazan"

YuCheng

I got these fishes from Brian few weeks ago and they are starting to show nice color recently. They look a bit different as the photos on TomC's website.
http://apisto.sites.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2287&gruppeID=1

Maybe they are still too young to identify?

Mazan_3.jpg
Mazan_2.jpg
Mazan_1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ignore color. Other characteristics seem to be the same as those seen on the holotype (Río Mazán) form of A. cruzi. The body seems a bit deeper/more high-backed, but this is probably due to being in a domestic environment.

YuCheng

20150713_apisto curzi rio mazan-1.jpg
20150713_apisto curzi rio mazan-2.jpg
20150713_apisto curzi rio mazan-3.jpg
20150713_apisto curzi rio mazan-4.jpg

I took some photo while doing water change last night. I was aware that one of the male curzi showing red color on his belly and looks nice.

By the way, what's holotype mean exactly for apisto?

Thanks,

Yu-Cheng

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
By the way, what's holotype mean exactly for apisto?
It just means that it is a similar fish to the original scientifically described "type" A. cruzi specimen collected by Sven Kullander from the Río Mazán.

The holotype will be preserved in the Swedish Museum of Natural History, and researchers would be able to compare fish that they have collected with the holotype.

There is only one holotype specimen, although a series of similar fish may have been collected, these are "paratype" specimens.

The reference for "A. cruzi Kullander, 1986" is:
Kullander, S.O., 1986. "Cichlid fishes of the Amazon River drainage of Peru". Department of Vertebrate Zoology, Research Division, Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm, Sweden, 394 p.

There is a more complete discussion of holotype, paratype and lectotype in this thread <"Apistogramma agassizii....">.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….