• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma.com get together at ACA?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Who is going to the ACA? I do not see any type of Apistogramma Study Group meeting scheduled. Maybe we can have an informal get together of members of this forum on Friday eveing. If you are interested let's figure out how many would meet. Dr. Romer is speaking at the show, maybe he can be convinced to join us for a little while.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Not sure if I will be at the ACA yet... It will be a last minute decision, depending on work. If I do make it, I'd love to meet up.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I will also be there and am looking forward to Romer's talks. Not sure exactly how I am going to space my time out yet as I have some fish I'd like to sell as well. Between the talks, the shedd aquarium tour and the actual show, hopefully we can squeeze a get-together in there :~)

~Jeremy Basch
AmazonCichlids.com

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Put this one under the understanding spouses. That Friday is my 5th wedding anniversary and yes my wife and 18 month old daughter will be along for the convention! I’d love to get together Friday night, but it will be dependent on my spouse and her plans.:biggrin:

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I just got this reply from Rick Borstein:

Hi Mike,

A few answers to your message:

I can give the Apistogramma Study Group a room to meet. Here are the times I have available:
  • Friday, 5/21 -- 11AM to 12:30 PM (No conflicts with any other groups)
  • Friday, 5/21 -- 1PM to 2:30PM (conflicts with South American Study Group)
NOTE: Both of these times conflict with the Shedd Aquarium Trip which runs from 9AM to 4PM.

We will provide a microphone, screen and digital projector for your presentation. We are not providing slide projectors.

Please advise by 5/25 which time works best for you. Our schedule is almost totally set, so time is of the essence.

Best regards,

Rick

I have to let Rick know soon, so I will need a little input right away. Which time slot do forum member (who plan to attend) prefer - and anyone have an idea on a speaker?

retro_gk

5 Year Member
If I do make it, the 11 am start sounds better. As for a speaker, I am currently biased towards West African fish... so, how about someone who can talk on the dwarf species that have become available from the area in the last couple of years? Ariel Bornstein or Randall Kohn, perhaps?

fishfarm

5 Year Member
Randal is great and I'm sure he'll be there. Not conflicting with the other study group would increase attendance. Rusty, Eric and Joe are giving there talk then and it'll be hilarious, and well attended.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
My plans are already tied up at that particular time with the Shedd Aquarium Tour. I've never been there before so I feel a great need to go see it. I would otherwise attend the get together. Let me know how it turns out!

~Jeremy Basch
Website-http://www.AmazonCichlids.com

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree, westies would be best. Uwe is giving 2 talks on apistos already. Now, do we have any volunteers. I can help with pictures. Anton Lamboj left me most of his photos from the Denver ACA.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Either time slot is OK. I doubt Randall Kohn is coming. He is back in school full time and as of a few weeks ago he was not planning on attending (correct me if I am wrong Randall!)

I can give my talk on Pelvicachromis if you are at all interested. I have presented it recently in Milwaukee and to the GCCA, and they seemed to like it.. or were just being polite.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
tjudy said:
Either time slot is OK. I doubt Randall Kohn is coming. He is back in school full time and as of a few weeks ago he was not planning on attending (correct me if I am wrong Randall!)

Arrg. He told me ages ago he'd be going to ACA this year. I'm holding you to that Randall!!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I was actually hoping to get 2 westies programs in at the meeting. One from Randall & one from Ted, but Randall's college classes conflict with the ACA. Happily, Ted has volunteered to give the entire program. Ted, it all yours now. This is how it is set up right now:

ASG Meeting - Friday, 5/21 -- 11AM to 12:30 PM
"Pelvicachromis in the Aquarium" by Ted Judy.

Thanks, Ted!

Randall

5 Year Member
"Pelvicachromis in the Aquarium" by Ted Judy

Hello friends,

I am delighted that the ASG will have a program in Chicago this year and that our Ted Judy will be discussing Pelvicachromis. Ted, if you don't correct the highly misleading moniker "Pelvicachromis humilis 'Liberia Red,'" which is used currently to denote a Guinean Pelvicachromis humilis form that is not very red and not from Liberia, I am going to sic the Pelvicachromis police on you! As an accurate replacement name, "Pelvicachromis humilis 'Guinea Red'" will do. Poor G.A. Boulenger who described the fish in 1916 is rolling over in his grave!

Enjoy!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Actually Randall, I have 'borrowed' the Linke images of 'Liberia Red', that I think are the only images of that Liberian form, that appear in both the Linke/Staek and Lamboj books and talk about that issue quite a bit. I thnk that the fish being sold as Liberia Red is yet another of the 'dinkaya' types, as are most of the new P. humilis being 'discovered' in Guinae. If anyone has some good photos of colored, non-stressed Pel. humilis Kenema or Kindia Kissi, please let me know. I have images of the 'liberia red' (from Guinea), Boffa and Friya... I am not so sure that they are not slight variations of 'Dinkaya'. Anton called the Boffa form 'a Dinkaya type' when I had them at the ACA in Denver two years ago.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
So, when is everyone arriving in Chicago? My flight lands at O'Hare at midnight, Wednesday (technically, early Thursday morning).

Anyone else getting there around the same time? Share a cab?

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
Hello all. I am happy to say that I'll be attending the ACA this year.

I'll be arriving at about 8AM on Thursday, and would gladly meet up with some of you. I am not going to the Shedd Tour, and hope to make the Friday meeting.

Brett

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….