• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cf. resticulosa/urteagai

Ekona

5 Year Member
I think this WC fish, and the females that came with it from Brian Perkins are showing characteristics of both cf. resticulosa and cf. urtaegai. For instance the caudal fin pattern matches cf. resticulosa. The spaces between the vertical bars are narrower than the bars, and both male and female in fright pattern show a downward angled 7th bar - both characteristics of cf. urteagai. Perhaps it is an intergrade cf. Whatever it could be named, it's one of my favorite apistos, and this male is starting to grow out and get more colorful.

UrteagaiMale8_zps46065596.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
My big males from Brian are showing more color and are a good looking fish but I'll leave the ID to Mike as nothing seems to line up really to say "Yes, that's it!"

Ekona

5 Year Member
My big males from Brian are showing more color and are a good looking fish but I'll leave the ID to Mike as nothing seems to line up really to say "Yes, that's it!"

I would agree with you on that. Even in the US, you can collect minnows of the same species from a relatively small geographical area the show all kinds of color variations. I can only imagine that the same thing is true in the Amazon rainforest! I am however taking a close look at the characteristics these fish show and see where they fit according to current diagnostic conventions. And, yes, I too will leave it to Mike to make the ID.

Are the fish you got from Brian the same as this male as far as you can tell? If so, then Brian is calling this fish as A. cf. urteagai. Whatever the case, it's obvious the two species/forms are closely related - and cool looking.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I THINK they are the same fish. Got them last week and put them in a tank with very dirty glass and I've only checked on them a few times since then because of all of the other new fish coming in. I'll get the glass/tank cleaned up and try to get some shots of the big male as well as any of the others that would be showing better patterns for ID purposes.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Great!
Looking forward to seeing what new fish are coming in.

Ekona

5 Year Member
You live in Lima, Peru right? Then they are waiting at your door.

That's as far as the fish made it today. They will now be in the US tomorrow instead of tonight.
It might be nice to live in Lima, could go collecting and bring em back myself! I'm on the East Coast of good ole US of A, I can get some pretty nice native species, but none are as interesting as the apisto! Hope yours arrive in great shape!

Ekona

5 Year Member
Snapped this photo of a male A. cf. resticulosa in an interesting angle - finage and colors are quite nice.

RestiMaleFlowing2_zps49b88bd0.jpg

Set the male and four females in their own tank and the male has started to really color up and display to the females.

ResticulosaMaleColorful.jpgRestiFemale.jpgRestiFemaleGolden.jpgRestiPairDisplay.jpgRestiPairDisplay2.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Tonight the male and a female were circling around each other with the male displaying intense colors - hopefully they will form a breeding pair :) This has to be one of the prettiest apistos I've ever kept, just an amazing rainbow colored fish!

DisplayPair2a_zps301a5a54.jpg

DisplayPair3a_zps44dab4c6.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I moved my group a few days ago and the female set up shop right away! I have a few pictures of her in spawn colors that I'll post later as well as some shots of the large male pushing everyone around. He's not as colorful in my shots as in your pictures though Dave.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Here is a video of the displaying male WC peruvian apistos taken with the same camera as the photos - just testing it out. The only lighting here is from overhead florescent lights (no side lighting). Even with the rather dim overhead lights, the color of the male can still be seen although not nearly intensely as when with side lighting.

The photos above, Jeff, were when the male was a the peak of displaying and the angle of the light has a lot to do with what colors are captured (They have also been getting a lot of Lots'OFishes #2 mix as food - really good stuff ;)). The Nikon P510 i'm using is so very easy and intuitive to use and allows for nice marco closeups, but I find that, generally, photos are not as fine quality as other higher end cameras. But at half the price of say a Canon T3i or Nikon D5200 it works well enough for me and fits my budget at the moment. It will be great to see your pics of the cf. urteagai you have as I want to compare them with the fish I have and see if they are the same cf or species. Thanks,
Dave

Ekona

5 Year Member
Here is a video compilation showing the changes in coloration and behavior of the same male and female apistos as above forming a pair bond over a three day period in preparation for spawning (I think).

Day one, the female is showing mostly normal coloration as she goes about "earth-eating", sifting through the sand substrate for food particles. Some Tyttocharax tambopatensis I have as dither fish can also been seen.

Day two shows a dramatic color change in the female, with more intensified black markings and both M/F beginning to establish a territory on one side of the aquarium by driving all other fish - including a male A. cf. staecki (in slow motion) - to the opposite side. Also, if you look closely, the "billions" of microorganisms that have colonized the water column (rotifers?) can be seen "roiling" around - these should provide ample fish food if free-swimming fry are produced. One of these days I'll try to identify what these microorganisms are.

Day 3 shows the female with amazing black markings covering most of her body, which I think looks really cool. The male can be seen doing rather vigorous displays to his potential mate as well as chasing other fish away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….