• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Caetei Xingu?

BoyScout

Hi all -

I picked up a pair of these apistos last week - sold as A. Caetei Xingu - but referencing back on some earlier ID threads, others who had purchased under this same name may have had either A. Resticulosa or possibly A. cf. Taeniata "Xingu".

Photos aren't great quality I'm afraid. The female in partcicular looks a bit washed out. In the store she was in bright yellow dress and on a clutch of eggs - they soon got eaten when brought home to their new tank.

Another question - if these are A. Resticulosa - are they in some way related to the "Steel Blue" hybrids you see around the place?

Appreciate any advice...

Thanks

Niall
Male6.jpg

Male
Male3.jpg

Female4.jpg

Female
Female7.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting fish. It shows many of the characteristics of species of the caetei-complex (narrow zigzag lateral band, abdominal streaks, robust body, low dorsal, round & cross-striped caudal fin) and Xingu-comples (wide even lateral band slightly widening toward caudal peduncle, no prominent 90° downward break in lateral band at Bar 7, robust (usually) body, low dorsal, round cross-striped (usually) caudal fin. On your fish, the 90° downward break of the lateral band on Bar 7 is not really well defined, but more like that on species belonging to other regani-group complexes. Additionally, your fish do not show the strongly cross-striped caudal fin typical of species in both the caetei- and Xingu-complexes. The caudal pattern on your fish is more like that seen on most species in the resticulosa-complex. Finally, the vertically elongated caudal spot is not presently known in any species of the 3 complexes above. So what do we have? We have a fish that shows the body and fin shape typically seen on caetei- & Xingu-complex species, a lateral band typical of caetei- (but no downward break on Bar 7) and resticulosa-complex species, a caudal fin pattern typical of resticulosa-complex species, and a caudal spot that has a shape like none found in any of these complexes. I would guess - based on these 3 photos only - that we are dealing with something new. In many respects it looks close to A. sp. Jabuti (Xingu-complex from lower Tapajós), but the lateral band and caudal spot are different. It also resembles A. sp. Macapá (caetei-complex, Amapa state), but the caudal fin pattern and caudal spot are different. I would like to see more photos of this fish.

BoyScout

Wow! This is why I love apistos. Thanks Mike for your detailed reply - it is much appreciated that you share your time and expert knowlege in helping out on the "ID question" threads.

I've attached some more photos, including some closeups of the male's caudal area. A couple of things I've noticed about the female - she gets a cheek stripe which then "appears" to run up through the eye, no sign of a forehead stripe. Also, she can get a prominent (small) spot along the lateral line - although I think it's too far forward to be a lateral spot?

More pics of the male:
Male11.jpg

Male12.jpg

Male13.jpg

Male14.jpg

Male15.jpg

More pics of the female:
Female11.jpg

Female12.jpg

Female13.jpg

Female14.jpg

Female15.jpg

Female16.jpg

Thanks again Mike!

Regards
Niall

BoyScout

Hi Mike -
My LFS was able to confirm today they came in from a shipment from Glaser, Germany. There were no accompanying notes indicating they were wild caught so we are working on the assumption that they are a German-bred relatively pure strain.
There is still one other pair in the LFS tank...

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Strange, Glaser seem to have two different fish under the same name. Frank Schäfer sent me a picture of what they had as A.caetei Xingu a while ago, and they were not like these. He said he had some of them at home, quite colorless fish. I figured they were the Xingu population of taeniata, unlike these.

Haakon

BoyScout

Update:

Observed the two of them doing the love dance today. Her zig-zag lateral line was clearly defined and caudal spot was more prominent (photo doesn't do it justice at all). She is on eggs tonight. I expect to see her in full yellow breeding dress in a few days time...

Unknownfemale21.jpg

Unknownfemale22.jpg

BoyScout

The female has approx 30-40 fry at the moment - and she is alternating them between the small terracotta pot cave she laid the eggs in (above) and another ceramic structure from which she's excavated a heap of sand from.

She's yellowed up a bit and the male isn't getting involved in anything to do with the fry at all:

Unknownfemale31.jpg

Unknownfemale32.jpg

Unknownfemale33.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your female in brood dress looks very much like a population of A. taeniata. Her caudal spot is more oval and less vertically stretched than on the first photos of the male. I wonder if it is because the male is highly stressed (usually really helpful for ID) and the dark markings are highly expressed (expanded). This is the reason why it is better to see the actual fish in various emotional states for the best possible ID. I like Römer's Cichlid Atlases for this reason - many photos of the same species under different emotional states.

Haakon, do the last photos look more like the fish in Schäfer's photos?

HaakonH

5 Year Member
I just took a closer look at the photos Frank sent me, and I think they may be the same fish. Niall's male is more developed and bigger, but the females look similar. Mike, I've emailed you Frank's pictures for you to compare :)

Haakon

BoyScout

Mike and Haakon - thank you so much for your continued input! Mike - I'd be interested to hear what you made out of Frank Schäfer 's photos (thanks Haakon)...

I decided this morning to err on the side of caution and removed the male from the Mum and fry. Took the opportunity to take another pic of him after being caught and netted (he's in a clear plactic transfer container acclimatising to his new tank so the photo isn't crystal clear). Obviously he's stressed out after being netted and his markings are evident... not sure it gives us anything more than the previous photos though:

Unknownmale41.jpg

Unknownmale40.jpg

Given the description he was sold as and your own determination are we thinking he might be an A. cf. Taeniata "Xingu"? (Is that a proper description?)

Cheers Niall

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
After looking at Schafer's photos (thanks Haakon) and comparing them to the photos here, I agree with Haakon - they are the same species/form of A. taeniata.

alexkona26

5 Year Member
Can you tell us where you got these fish? Does anyone else have them?
Hi, guys! I'm a new comer, just signed into the group from Milan, Italy. Yes, Mike I'm one of those who have a pair of these Apistos & I do believe these r from the A.resticulosa complex. I have these for about a year now & they are sold here as A. borelli blue. I am an Apistophile & consistently hunting for these jewels in this part. Nice to be in the group!

regani

5 Year Member
I meant to contribute to this thread, but then I forgot.... I actually got the last pair of those fish from the same source as Niall (Boyscout) about two months ago. here are some more pictures of the male in different light conditions, if that helps to further confirm what exactly they are
DSCF6084_zps75b00fea.jpg

DSCF6086_zps9d2e92f8.jpg

DSCF6117_zpse4ad787a.jpg

DSCF6115_zps0fae4b71.jpg

DSCF6110_zps35875914.jpg

the female was a bit shy, as there are still some leftover fry in that tank, so she didn't want to come to the front. with my somewhat flimsy camera the pictures are not great, but here are some of the better ones
DSCF6095_zpsc0327419.jpg

DSCF6092_zpsd48d9b87.jpg

DSCF6088_zps59230e36.jpg

I have higher resolution copies I can post/email if required.

Niall, I have some ~1 month old fry and would be more than happy to give away or swap some at some stage if you want to help keep that species here in Australia.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Everything that I see on the fish point to it being a member or the resticulosa-complex. I'll stick with my guess that it is some population of A. taeniata.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
May I suggest "A. cf. taeniata (Caetei-Xingu)"? In this manner, the name indicates the most likely species (A. cf. taeniata) and its commercial (but inaccurate) name (A. cf. caetei-Xingu).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….