1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Cacatuoides red color morphs

Discussion in 'Identification and Morphology' started by Neptune's Neighborhood, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Neptune's Neighborhood

Neptune's Neighborhood Member 5 Year Member

I've done quite a bit of searching and I can't seem to find documentation on the red color trait behavior in A. cacatuoides. Does anyone have a reference on this? For instance, if I want a quad male to produce quad male offspring, does the female need to have a "quad" trait/gene? Similarly, are the resulting females quad-carriers?

for reference quad is red pattern on dorsal, tail, anal and pelvic fins on males. Females don't display any red on their fins.
  2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

I know of no studies like this on A. cacatuoides. To tell the truth, none of the 2x, 3x, 4x red strains seem to be 'set' for some reason. 2x can 'spit out' a few 3x; 3x can give 2x & 4x; 4x can give 2x and 3x.
  3. Neptune's Neighborhood

Neptune's Neighborhood Member 5 Year Member

Interesting, perhaps it depends on the female traits?
  4. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    If you don't select for fin colour over a few generations you tend to get a lot of yellows and oranges, although the fins remain coloured. I just kept a male based on him being a good size, with reasonably long fins and healthy, rather than line breeding for fin colour/fin extension.

Black chequering is a dominant trait, so "Orange Flash" is recessive.

cheers Darrel
  5. peterclarke666

peterclarke666 Member

i have produced a full quad red male with red markings on both pelvic fins before it was only ever on the one single fin ... i just bred the selected males showing this trait with wild females to strengthen this and the end results are now on both pelvic fins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. peterclarke666

peterclarke666 Member

were bred from this male [​IMG]
  7. Tattooedfool83

Tattooedfool83 Member

Wow that is a beautiful fish