• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Cacatuoides red color morphs

Neptune's Neighborhood

5 Year Member
I've done quite a bit of searching and I can't seem to find documentation on the red color trait behavior in A. cacatuoides. Does anyone have a reference on this? For instance, if I want a quad male to produce quad male offspring, does the female need to have a "quad" trait/gene? Similarly, are the resulting females quad-carriers?

for reference quad is red pattern on dorsal, tail, anal and pelvic fins on males. Females don't display any red on their fins.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
If you don't select for fin colour over a few generations you tend to get a lot of yellows and oranges, although the fins remain coloured. I just kept a male based on him being a good size, with reasonably long fins and healthy, rather than line breeding for fin colour/fin extension.

Black chequering is a dominant trait, so "Orange Flash" is recessive.

cheers Darrel

peterclarke666

5 Year Member
i have produced a full quad red male with red markings on both pelvic fins before it was only ever on the one single fin ... i just bred the selected males showing this trait with wild females to strengthen this and the end results are now on both pelvic fins

P1060897_zps68453fb3.jpg

P1060898_zps7d12dca7.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….