• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides - Fry tank setup

bizfromqc

I have between 50-60 A. cacatuoides juveniles, 2 months old ranging from 1-2cm in size. I want to move them to a bare 10G tank with sillica sand substrate (about 1in deep) and a sponge filter to help with the maintenance and cleaning.

Is this too many fish for a 10G grow out tank or will they be fine in there for a little while until they reach maturity?

I've got them in a planted tank now and need to move them out of there, any suggestions?

Thank you

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, and put no more that 10 - 15 fish in a 10 gallon tank. Otherwise they will never grow to any size. In a 10 they will need very frequent water changes too.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I would leave the substrate in. Where possible I always have sand or gravel in any grow-out tank. They seem to do much better. Other than that good food often and clean water often and you should do well.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Is this too many fish for a 10G grow out tank or will they be fine in there for a little while until they reach maturity?
I'd keep the substrate, and I'd definitely add some plants. They are a major factor in retaining good water quality. If you use potted plants, or java fern etc on wood and floaters, you won't have any problems with catching the fish when you need to move them.
In a bare tank, as the fish grow I think you may have problems with both aggression and water quality, and even in a planted tank I would be looking to change about 20% of the water every day.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….