• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Cacatuoides Female or Sneaker Male? Will not breed

sora_blue99

Hello!

I've had this pair of apisto cacatuoides for about 8 months now and they were sold as a pair. But they have never bred and only showed some occasional flashing. The male follows the female around a lot but doesn't show aggression/chase her too hard. I was wondering if the female is actually a sneaker male or if they are just not compatible. She is usually this dark color but has experienced some slight color change but definitely not the bright yellow I've seen in others. I have fed them live blackworms as well as frozen bloodworms and baby brine shrimp. They live in a 20L with a 8 Cardinal Tetras and 4 corydoras. Temp is at 80 degrees F and water is a little on the harder side at 7.4. Amm/nitrite/nitrates are normal.

If they are just incompatible I'd appreciate any advice on the next steps if I were to breed. Pics are attached any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20220311_132813407.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20220311_132813407.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 226
  • KakaoTalk_20220311_132817587.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20220311_132817587.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 222

MacZ

While for the domestic strains this colouration could still well mean it's a female the shape of the caudal is pretty obviously male.

If you want to breed, get other tankmates than the cardinals and Corydoras. Pencilfish are fry safe, tetras are not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….