• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma C. Orange in a 7 gallon tank - advice needed

Drakken

5 Year Member
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and to Cichlids (but not fish keeping) and I would like some input about Apistogramma Cactuoides Orange. My LFS has some very nice 1 - 1.5 inch Apistos that have captured my attention. Right now the only available tank I have is an All-Glass Mini Bow 7 gallon with a Penguin Bio-Wheel filter. I do not have the option of buying a bigger tank right now.

I know this is not the ideal tank for these fish but can it be used to house a pair of Apisto C. comfortably? My water comes from a well and is 7.0 - 7.1 ph.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks in advance!

minibow_img.gif

Neil

Drakken,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Nice little tank! At the size that you mention, I don't think that there should be a problem. But cacatuoides can get fairly large (twice that size). You could keep them in there, but they would prefer more room. Maybe you will be more motivated once you get them and see how cool they are to give them bigger quarters down the line. It will be awhile before they are full grown. If you do it, make sure that you have plenty of cover in there for the female to hide. There isn't much room to run from her partner if he gets aggressively frisky! Good luck,
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
i think that those fish are going to get too large for that small tank. a smaller species would do better in there. cacs get pretty big. borelli's are pretty nice.

rick

Drakken

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info!

If I get them now but plan to move them into a bigger tank when they get bigger would it be OK to put them in a community tank or should they be by themselves? I have a 35 hex tank kept at 76 degrees and 7.1 ph. There are some Danios, a few cories and 2 platies in there now. Would the apistos get along in this tank?

Drakken

5 Year Member
aspen said:
how abot 78- 80? are there many fish already in there? if it's not too crowded, it would be perfect.

rick

78 would be fine. Right now there is about 30 inches of fish total. Also, I'm using a Fulval 304 MSF which is rated for tanks up to 70 gallons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….