• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Borelli Female

borellib

Hey all - this is my female Borelli Opal. I’ve had her for over a year now and for the longest time thought she was male due to her coloration. Was quite surprised when she spawned!

I’m wondering if anyone else has seen a Borelli female like her? I’ve search all over the web and haven’t found anything yet. Thanks!

Attachments

• 832CC8F9-F986-4DED-A8A5-B8A452F9860D.jpeg
    832CC8F9-F986-4DED-A8A5-B8A452F9860D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 230
  • 061FC6E6-5CF0-40B6-8055-E7780E8CC7C5.jpeg
    061FC6E6-5CF0-40B6-8055-E7780E8CC7C5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 227

anewbie

If that first fish is the female then yes she is quite nice for a female. None of my 5 females show any colour. That first fish really looks like a male.

borellib

If that first fish is the female then yes she is quite nice for a female. None of my 5 females show any colour. That first fish really looks like a male.
Yes, the picture above is her as well - taken a couple days ago. The latter was when she spawned about 6 months ago.

borellib

Is this the only borellii in your tank? Were the photos taken at the same time?
Hey Mike, she is for the time being - was thinking that could be the reason as well. But she’s always had the sheen and the markings around her face, though mildly less vibrant. The pics are roughly 6 months apart.

MacZ

Hmmm... All cases of sex change in cichlids that I know of have been female to male, not the other way round. I'm sceptical.

anewbie

Hmmm... All cases of sex change in cichlids that I know of have been female to male, not the other way round. I'm sceptical.
But that would be the case here - as the first picture is her currently and the 2nd picture is her 6 months ago.

borellib

B1561610-185D-4103-B697-A70AA5E4B30B.jpeg

Just a quick update, I introduced a male - who she is NOT a fan of a week or so ago. She’s slowly looking more yellow and him more blue - this is the most I’ve seen since getting him and seemed pretty lighting-dependent. It’s funny because with her red face and in most lighting they look nearly identical while whizzing by.

PS please don’t mind the tank - in the middle of redoing/replanting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….