• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma & Blue Acara

Sai

Hello,

I'm currently planning the stock for my 55gal (Fluval Roma 200L) tank and am highly interested in apistogramma and blue acara. I know I'm probably being hopeful, but is there any way a male or pair of apistogramma (vejita gold or cacatuoides) can live with a blue acara? I have a cave structure up one end with 7 cichlid caves, and up the other end I have a densely planted section with driftwood. Dotted about is another cichlid cave and a flower pot. I was hoping that by providing enough hiding spaces/caves, I could keep both successfully.

Whilst I'm here, I'd also like to know that if I cannot keep the blue acara with either of these, is it possible I could have a pair of cacatuoides and vejita gold together? Or could I have two males from these species.

Sorry if these are silly questions, I do try and do my own research but I always find conflicting information on the internet, so find it best to ask real people.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it is possible if everything is set up perfectly and you get more mellow specimens that tend to stay on their side of the tank. Realize that the Blue Acara is an Andinacara species. Think of it as a miniature Green Terror. As for mixing 2 potential breeding pairs of apistos in one tank, this also depends on the individual dispositions of each fish. In a densely decorated tank with visual territorial boundaries it is possible. Personally, if you want to breed apistos I would choose one species only. If you want a community situation I would add males only of different species, that have different body shapes and fins, and with similar dispositions.

Sai

Yes, it is possible if everything is set up perfectly and you get more mellow specimens that tend to stay on their side of the tank. Realize that the Blue Acara is an Andinacara species. Think of it as a miniature Green Terror. As for mixing 2 potential breeding pairs of apistos in one tank, this also depends on the individual dispositions of each fish. In a densely decorated tank with visual territorial boundaries it is possible. Personally, if you want to breed apistos I would choose one species only. If you want a community situation I would add males only of different species, that have different body shapes and fins, and with similar dispositions.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not really interested in breeding apistos so am more than happy to get males. Would it be possible to mix a male blue acara, cacatuoides, and vejita gold? Or a blue acara and cacatuoides/vejita, or simply the vejita and cactuoides. I believe they're similiar shape though the cacatuoides and vejita. However they do differ in colour and fin shape from what I could tell. As I said, my tank does have two halves; one densely planted, and the other with a cave structure. I believe this would work as a barrier between territories. I could see the blue acara staying to the cave system and an apisto on the planted side.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It depends mostly on the disposition of your blue acara. It should be OK if the blue is a mellower specimen. They get much larger and more massive than apistos. It might be safer in a large tank. You can try it, but I personally would not.

bukknutt

Hello,

I'm currently planning the stock for my 55gal (Fluval Roma 200L) tank and am highly interested in apistogramma and blue acara. I know I'm probably being hopeful, but is there any way a male or pair of apistogramma (vejita gold or cacatuoides) can live with a blue acara? I have a cave structure up one end with 7 cichlid caves, and up the other end I have a densely planted section with driftwood. Dotted about is another cichlid cave and a flower pot. I was hoping that by providing enough hiding spaces/caves, I could keep both successfully.

Whilst I'm here, I'd also like to know that if I cannot keep the blue acara with either of these, is it possible I could have a pair of cacatuoides and vejita gold together? Or could I have two males from these species.

Sorry if these are silly questions, I do try and do my own research but I always find conflicting information on the internet, so find it best to ask real people.
I think the Blue Acara will be too aggressive for the Apistos. Maybe when they’re really small but it will outgrow the Apistos significantly. I have an electric blue that’s w a jaguar, a green terror, and texas cichlid. Plus a couple larger catfish and he’s barley holding his own. But he’e be a bully w dwarves. Try it when he’s small and just keep an eye on him. He’ll get big enough to eat them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….