• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Baenschi and Panda Garra

Kazarak

Do any of you have experience with this combination of fish. I have had the two for a little over a week. They are in with a shoal harlequin Rasboras and 6 Nerite snails. It’s a 16 gallon planted tank. I had two mystery snails in there until the Apisto started nipping at their feelers. The problem is the Garra just hides all day and is very inactive. Everyone else seems happy as can be. I have spotted the Apisto chasing the Garra once and I wonder if the Apisto is the reason he is always hiding.

water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (weird I know I think it’s the plants)
PH: 7.4

I guess I’m just wondering if anybody else has experienced this. Thanks!

Rklein99

I‘m new to this, but I’ve had a pair of A. Baenschi together with 7 small garra in a 20 gal tank, and they all appear to be doing very well. The garra seem to enjoy the company of their own kind a lot, so maybe buy a couple more. I think more than 4 would be too much in a 16 gallon.

Kazarak

Yeah I’d love to have more and I got only one on advice from the LFS. I’m worried the tank doesn’t have enough space for more than a couple or three but I’d really like to help liven this guy up. He was SO active in the first 16 hours and now he just seems depressed or scared. I attached a photo of the set up for the sake of seeing my situation. Any further thoughts?

Attachments

• 92F0CACA-0EC9-4F7E-BC54-3450EE1AAB5B.jpeg
    92F0CACA-0EC9-4F7E-BC54-3450EE1AAB5B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 294

Rklein99

I was told not to get more than four. But they are only about one inch or less now. If they get too big, I’ll give some away. They really do seem to enjoy the company and are not shy at all. I first had four Otocinclus, but two of them died and I couldn’t find any more to replace. The remaining two were very reclusive until I added the garra, and now they are also much more active. I know they are from different parts of the world, but maybe if you can get some Oto’s which stay small and are from S. America like the Apisto are, maybe the garra will come out more. Perhaps the competition for food will motivate him. They all get along well in my tank. Good luck.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I feel that your tank needs more structure. It's just too bare. Apistos are visually oriented fish, as well as being territorial. If your A. baenschi can see across the tank easily, then he considers the entire bottom of the tank his territory. Other fish in his territory are not usually welcome.

Kazarak

Alright fair enough. Any good reference pictures on how to accomplish that? Or any advice on good ways to break it up?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Alright fair enough. Any good reference pictures on how to accomplish that? Or any advice on good ways to break it up?
You can break up line of sight with <"Structural Leaf Litter">, <"Wood"> and <"Plants">. Personally I like a lot of all three.

You might consider a change of substrate as well? I don't use gravel anymore, sand is a lot better for the fish, and the fragments of leaf etc just sit on top of it.

These are the sorts of tanks I keep

Top one is an old female A. cacatuoides showing some male characteristics & the bottom some juvenile Dicrossus maculatus

old_female_web-jpg.13534

dicrossus_clup1_resize-1-jpg.41359

cheers Darrel

Kazarak

Thanks for the information. I’ll consider changing substrate but that sounds like a lot of work. I grabbed some taller plants on my lunch break and threw them in to see if it helps. I’ll keep thinking on ways to add breaks in sight

Attachments

• B5D66EF1-680E-4CCA-AA7D-8CAEBBEC2E1D.jpeg
    B5D66EF1-680E-4CCA-AA7D-8CAEBBEC2E1D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 211

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Thanks for the information. I’ll consider changing substrate but that sounds like a lot of work.
Yes it is not easy when the tank is running.
I grabbed some taller plants on my lunch break and threw them in to see if it helps. I’ll keep thinking on ways to add breaks in sight
It all helps. You really want the bottom of the tank to be "structural", because that is where the fish spend most of their time.

Are you in the UK?

cheers Darrel

Kazarak

No I’m in the US eastern time zone. I’ll definitely look at what I can add that’s more structural to break it up. Even with the new plants I can tell there is just less visibility across the tank as a whole but I need to improve the bottom for sure

Kazarak

Perhaps some tall rocks to break up the sight line?
I would like to but how high off of the substrate do you guys feel it would have come to count as “tall” it’s not a huge tank and I can’t fit anything too big in there without displacing a lot of the water and reducing the capacity of the tank

Kazarak

Alright went out and got some rocks. Spread the tall plants out and pulled out the bronze crypt. Rearranged a few things. Better?
A1B15077-DD7A-4350-AD8E-4EA90C204E34.jpeg
DCE6E67C-3ED5-41BB-8212-F7153971FA90.jpeg
713A4B86-CFE6-4AAB-A874-6924CB87F5EE.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….