• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizii

stiiina

5 Year Member
Hello!
I´ve had my tank of 180liters for about a month now three mangrove roots and ALOT of plants, ph is 6,5 just like the agassizii wants it. I do regular small water changes. Half coconut shells in the tank and one beautiful male and three females, they keep mating and laying eggs, but no fry?
What could be the problem?

Thankful for answers:)

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Anna,

how old are the fish and what colour are the eggs and do you know if they eat them or not ? It could be a lot of issues maybe your male is not fertile or maybe they are still too young to do it properly.
Cheers jk :biggrin:

stiiina

5 Year Member
Hello Anna,

how old are the fish and what colour are the eggs and do you know if they eat them or not ? It could be a lot of issues maybe your male is not fertile or maybe they are still too young to do it properly.
Cheers jk :biggrin:

Thanks for answering, I thought the eggs lookes 'see through ish'?
The females might not be grown enough, but the male I had him before them is as big as tha agassizii gets. I think they ate them, I´ve read they can do that the first few times och if they get disturbed :)

fishme.

5 Year Member
if you can see through the eggs then they are not fertile , the eggs of the apistogramma are yellow to red or redish (? ) what is the kh and the GH of your water ?

do you use any PH buffer ?

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning
agree with Nickos, see throughish is not a good sign. My opinion is that the females arestill a little too young and also you are correct, some eat the first batches of eggs. check also your water parameters for kh and GH.
I am sure give it 3-6months and you should have fry. keep us informed.
tousen tak. cheers jk :biggrin:

stiiina

5 Year Member
if you can see through the eggs then they are not fertile , the eggs of the apistogramma are yellow to red or redish (? ) what is the kh and the GH of your water ?

I will try to translate :redface: ph is 6.5 it´s the mangrove roots that bring down the ph level..the kh is 4-5 and the GH I don´t know what that is in swedish.
Seems like 'my ' eggs weren´t fertile:frown:
Thank you for your answer--...:)

ste12000

5 Year Member

Not neccessarily!! many Apistogramma have different coloured eggs, i take tons of pictures of broodcaring females with fry but not many of Apistogramma eggs, i dont like to disturb them once they have spawned..The pic below shows fertile(30 fry resulted) Apistogramma sp 'steelblue' eggs..Excuse the bad pics and dodgy gravel...Ive improved considerably since then :biggrin: :biggrin:
DSCF5939.jpg

stiiina

5 Year Member
Not neccessarily!! many Apistogramma have different coloured eggs, i take tons of pictures of broodcaring females with fry but not many of Apistogramma eggs, i dont like to disturb them once they have spawned..The pic below shows fertile(30 fry resulted) Apistogramma sp 'steelblue' eggs..Excuse the bad pics and dodgy gravel...Ive improved considerably since then :biggrin: :biggrin:
DSCF5939.jpg

This is how my latest batch looked like! And they where placed under a root like yours..the others the other females have are in coconut shells and not visuable for me to see. But last night the eggs where all gone again, :frown: depressing..I hope it is..that the females are too young

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
There are many variables that affect the colors of Apistogramma eggs. Those fed a lot of of live brine shrimp nauplii or from newly imported wild fish are often bright red but not always.
If you can get a spare batch of eggs laid on an easily removed substrate, artificially incubating them with some methylene blue can help answer how fertile they are and maybe provide you with a batch of fry.

stiiina

5 Year Member
There are many variables that affect the colors of Apistogramma eggs. Those fed a lot of of live brine shrimp nauplii or from newly imported wild fish are often bright red but not always.
If you can get a spare batch of eggs laid on an easily removed substrate, artificially incubating them with some methylene blue can help answer how fertile they are and maybe provide you with a batch of fry.

Thanks for the reply :) I must read a little bit more about that before I get into it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….