• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizii unknow location

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I would like you to help me identify this wonderful agassizii, A friend gave me this fish but does not know where it is, someone could help me identify the location, thanks

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

central tanks

Location as in what specific area of south america?? Is it a wild variety? If not then the location would be your friends fish tank for all we know, not trying to be rude in any way.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Location as in what specific area of south america?? Is it a wild variety? If not then the location would be your friends fish tank for all we know, not trying to be rude in any way.
My friend tells me that he is wild but he does not know what South American country he is, he will identify him by the tail, I think that the colors of the tail could help a little?

central tanks

My friend tells me that he is wild but he does not know what South American country he is, he will identify him by the tail, I think that the colors of the tail could help a little?

I cant help with that as i dont have any where near the experiance to be able to tell you what country its from, other then googling agassizii locations lol. Good luck figuring it out, hopefully someone will see this that can help in some way.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is a Red Agassizii (IF it is from a wild population). This is only 1 color variant found in a population of many different colors, sort of like someone with blonde hair among many local people with darker hair colors. Red Agassizii are found among populations from many areas of Peru and western Brazil.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
This is a Red Agassizii (IF it is from a wild population). This is only 1 color variant found in a population of many different colors, sort of like someone with blonde hair among many local people with darker hair colors. Red Agassizii are found among populations from many areas of Peru and western Brazil.
Thanks Mike for the info and your help

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Are you certain that this is a wild fish? You'll know it is, if it doesn't produce mostly red-tailed males (if you have a female from the same location). If the pair produce males that all look like their father, then they are almost certainly a domestic line-bred stain. In many ways it looks like the old "Hüsser Red" strain.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Are you certain that this is a wild fish? You'll know it is, if it doesn't produce mostly red-tailed males (if you have a female from the same location). If the pair produce males that all look like their father, then they are almost certainly a domestic line-bred stain. In many ways it looks like the old "Hüsser Red" strain.
WOW Mike, my agassizii is not WC maybe f1 or f2 but I was investigating more about what you said and I think is Hüsser Red, I have more pics

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hüsser Red Agassizii is a domestic strain that was produced decades ago by careful cross-breeding and in-breeding of different color forms of domestic and wild fish. If your fish are only 1 or 2 generations from wild-caught fish, then they are NOT Hüsser Red Agassizii! Do NOT claim them to be or sell them as such.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Hüsser Red Agassizii is a domestic strain that was produced decades ago by careful cross-breeding and in-breeding of different color forms of domestic and wild fish. If your fish are only 1 or 2 generations from wild-caught fish, then they are NOT Hüsser Red Agassizii! Do NOT claim them to be or sell them as such.
Hello Mike, I wanted to tell you that the seller informed my friend that this agassizii was born in a tank of non-wild parents and that in reality would have many generations behind so it is not f1 or f2, I think that with this information and could confirm that it is a Hüsser Red, thanks for you help

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….