• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizii Fire Red

Apistolyfe

I have a pair of these in a 10 G tank heavily planted and the male is showing lots of aggression towards the female. He sleeps inside the breeder caves and the female is usually towards the top of the tank or somewhere behind some plants. Is this something that will work itself out with time?I would love to get some fry out of them.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sadly, the female's behavior is typical of one not ready to breed. The male knows it and is trying to drive her out of his territory - the entire tank - in hopes that another female will appear who is ready to breed. An apisto at the top of the tank is a stressed apisto. I suggest you remove her before something bad happens. Also, a 10 is just too small for breeding a polygamous species like A. agassizii. Is it possible? Yes, I used to use them. I also lost a lot of apistos to aggression or disease caused by stress.

Apistolyfe

They do get along sometimes but others she is being pushed out. Would you recommend adding another female and moving them in a 20L or something along those lines?

Apistolyfe

Do you have any resources where I can learn more about different apisto behavior Mike? I am also considering a pair of Apistogramma Rio negro bretbinden. Do you have any suggestions for those?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think you would be better off with a trio in a 20L. The best reference I've seen is the chapter on behavior in Koslowski's 2002 book Die I Buntbarsche Amerikas: Apistogramma & Co. It's only available in German.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….