• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Study Group Thread

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
One of the sad things about the demise of the Apistogramma Study Group is that there is no place to publish these more specialized articles on apistos. These are generally too long for the average magazine and most magazines aren't interested in publishing long, specialized articles.

Why not set it up again? Make all the 'publications' PDF only. That way there's no mailing cost involed, and those who like hard copies can print it themselves.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Man, lisa, thats a good idea. I would donate time, information and enthusiasm and anything else within reason (not money, i have none!).
I am trying to make a site especially for apistos but this will take a while and it will be simple as i am not good with computers!
I would love to do this so keep me posted for any developments.
Please!
Hudson

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Man, lisa, thats a good idea. I would donate time, information and enthusiasm and anything else within reason (not money, i have none!).
I am trying to make a site especially for apistos but this will take a while and it will be simple as i am not good with computers!
I would love to do this so keep me posted for any developments.
Please!
Hudson

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, a great idea. It all revolves around who is willing to write, who is willing to edit, and just as important who will pay for the bandwidth to publish the papers? Time and money are both involved.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, a great idea. It all revolves around who is willing to write, who is willing to edit, and just as important who will pay for the bandwidth to publish the papers? Time and money are both involved.

Ok, I'll just wait for your book then Mike! :tongue::wink:
I was thinking that you'd basically run it like a mailing list. The tough part is getting articles.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ok, I'll just wait for your book then Mike! :tongue::wink:

Lisa,
HA! Fat chance. I know too many fish book authors who went through 'heck and back' with their books for fame and very little $. If it was the other way around, well ... :biggrin:

I was thinking that you'd basically run it like a mailing list. The tough part is getting articles.

Seriously, I tend to look at myself more as a teacher/mentor than an author. Anyone who has seen a list of articles that I've written know that I don't write for $$; I write to explain. I've only written 1 article for pay during the past 35 years and I don't plan to change anytime soon.

Right now I am mulling what to do about being curator for apistos at the Cichlid Room Companion. I agreed to help Juan Miguel as long as my information was available to anyone who needed it (no copyrights). Now CRC requires a $35/yr. (I think that's the price) membership to access this information. I understand that Juan Miguel needs to pay for the web site, but this is more than my ACA membership. How do others feel about pay for view web sites?

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
My budget being as tight as it puts me firmly on the side of disliking pay to view a site. I was esp distressed when i tried accessing things that used to be free and no longer are. However I also see it from his point of view as it takes a good chunk of cash to maintain a popular site like that. I am very fortunate my sites dont get a lot of hits.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
I can not pay for websites, i realize that CRC needed money but that is a large jump, i deffinately cant pay it.
I even wonder if he would get more money for the site if it was cheaper, more people might sign up.
I was wondering about the Apistogramma study group thing,I didnt consider it so... professional if it is i really cant help much.

Oh and one more thing, PLEASE dont make them PDF folders!!!!:eek:

apistobob

5 Year Member
It is a tough problem to decide how to pay for a site. In the beginning you can forget about charging anything but as time goes on you develop a valuable resource that many people utilize. At the same time, the increased content and traffic drive up the costs of maintaining the site. None of us wants to pay for content but I sure understand those who charge for it.

I have decided to run my site for free and to put on a few ads to try to generate some income. Unfortunately, there are not many tropical fish companies that pay to advertise on web sites. Thus, there is not much money to be made. I keep hoping that one of these years I will earn enough to pay for the hosting cost!

One other reason that I would not charge for my site is that if I did I would feel an obligation to post fresh content often so that people would always be able to feel they were getting a value for their money. I only work on my site when I have time and I don't ever want it to be a chore that I have to do.

Personally, I would have a tough time deciding if I would provide content to a site that was charging others to view it. At that point I think I would ask for a portion of the revenue. However, these are tough personal decisions.

Bob

Evan

5 Year Member
It doesn't seem like the bandwidth burden for dwarf cichlid papers would be that high.

I would be willing to try to host the papers/articles and put up a web site for this cause. That is, if that little writing and editing thing got taken care of. ;)

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
As Mike will attest, I offered a long time ago to provide the space for Apistogramma Study Group. After an initial flurry of activity the person holding the reins of that defunct organization became uncommunicative.

When I first purchased apistogramma.com there was a homepage here that included species profiles. I spent a lot of time converting the information over as a part of updating this forum and website. There were a lot of promises by several people for support in keeping the profiles up to date, but the dedication did not last. No big deal. Everyone is busy. If we want to try to do that again, OK, but I do to have the time.

As far as the Apistogramma Study Group is concerned, unless the current site (which has not been updated since 2002) comes down or is updated I do not want apistogramma.com associated with ASG. There is too much confusion between the two. The ASG website has a link for membership dues and an address to send money too. In 2006 I was approached at an ACA convention by a person asking me what happened to her money. She assumed that this forum was a part of ASG because I was the ASG speaker at the ACA that year.

I am still very willing to create a space for the ASG, but someone will have to administer it. The current website would have to be taken down, or updated.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Is the study group meeting for dwarf cichlids at the ACA convention still called the "Apistogramma Study Group" meeting? If it is, it definitely needs to be changed!

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
A quick search got this:

http://www.apisto.com/

So, did a whois...

WHOIS information for apisto.com :

Administrative Contact:
IXnet Services
Arlene Fiebig ([email protected])
+1.2622032007
Fax:
P.O. Box 44
Darien, Wisconsin 53114
US

Creation date: 13 Jun 2002 21:51:58
Expiration date: 13 Jun 2010 21:51:00

So, theoretically, it could stay up until 2010.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The meeting at the ACA 2009 is not called the ASG. It is now sponsored by Apistogramma.com, and we are having Evan as a speaker. The last time we had an 'ASG' speaker was in 2006 in Chicago (I did that one), and we were seeing if we could rekindle the ASG. Nothing came of it. There were no study groups in 2007. In 2008 Atlanta gave Romer the floor and called it 'ASG' but he was not really sponsored by anyone for that talk.

Lisa... we know who owns the site, and have talked to him. He lives in the Milwaukee area, but does nto participate in our clubs. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2010 to the domain.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Now heres a question for Mike and Ted..I collect old books and fishkeeping magazines..My favourite subject and passion is dwarf cichlids..where would i find any old back copies of Apisto-gram to add to my collection?? I would pay of course and wondered if anyone has old copies in the back of a cupboard or garage??? As well as just collecting them i would also be interested simply to read and preserve them..cheers.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Lisa... we know who owns the site, and have talked to him. He lives in the Milwaukee area, but does nto participate in our clubs. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2010 to the domain.

I seem to recall that you can put your name into trying to get the domain when it's up for renewal. I've never done that, has anyone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….