• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto. nijsseni

D

djharkins

Neil,

I truly enjoy the website, very informative and user friendly.

Question. I purchased a pair of nijsseni's over the weekend, and I am not positive that they are a true pair. The male(?) is about 5/8" long, and the female about a 1/2". Both the male and female are yellow with black markings. The male(?) some times turns darker over the entire body and is bulkier, but hasn't shown the azure blue coloring. Also, the female's black laterial blotch only appears on one side of her body. Are these features typical of young A. nijsseni?

Thanks,
DJ

mordor

5 Year Member
I haven't hem so far but my guess is that they are to small to sex them with 100% probability. You have to wait. If possible buy more of them. You will have better chance to get pair.

BristolCichlids

5 Year Member
In my 2 trios I had the two males were longer/slender and pretty drab looking, except when breeding then they got the blue coloring. All 4 females had yellow in them which intensifies when they were breeding. I was able to tell when the males were at least an inch in length. I had purchased the 6 at a NJAS meeting when they were all about 1/2 inch. After 3 months the males grew quicker and you could see some blue in them. I would give them another month or 2 before you can tell what you have.
Were these the only 2 at Wolfingers or did he have more? I might stop by there tomorrow night to see what else he has in the way of Apistos.

D

djharkins

BristolCichlids,

Thanks. I kind of figured that I'll have to give them some more time to grow, like mordor said. The male(?) is larger, slightly different body shape and not as bright yellow as the female.

Is it normal for the female to have the black laterial blotch on one side of her body and not the other? I know that it can change from black to a greenish color, but just on one side?

Sorry, but they were the only nijsenni that Wolfingers had, but they did have other Apistos.

Neil

djharkins,
There is a lot af variability in the nijsenni complex fish (Panduro especially). It is not normal for a nijsenni to have a mark on one side of its body and not the other, but it is not unusual either.
Believe it or not, one way to tell these small fish apart is to put them in a specimen container or a fish bag and shake it around a little. The females will often show their larger splotching on the face and the body. i don't recommend this though (disclaimer!!). the better alternative is to wait until larger. They will show dimorphism, on and off, at about 3/4" - 1".
Look for the darker red half-moon on the caudal fin to be males. The blue color often doesn't show up until later. Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….