• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto. Nijsseni once again

H

Herzeleid

Apisto. Nijsseni?

Since I'm new to this site and forum I would like to say Hello and thank everyone in advance for all replies.

I have 3 apisto. nijsseni in my 112 L tank (sorry but I don't know how much that is in gallons) and I wonder which ones are female and which ones are male. I have had them since the beginning of February and they are about 3 centimeters long by now. To be honest I have looked around in many stores here in Warsaw, Poland were I live and all the apisto. nijsseni look a like! How old do they have to be to be able to tell them apart??

Thanx

Jacek

Z Man

5 Year Member
I went to http://www.google.com and cliked on "images" then typed in "nijsseni" and it showed about a dozen photo's of both male and female. The female will have a yellow color with a large black circle along her lateral line, thus the common name "Dwarf Panda Cichlid" among other names.
Z Man

Neil

Herzeleid,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Jacek,
How's things in Warsaw!? There have been a couple of discussions on nijsenni in earlier posts.
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82
I think that it will be very difficult to sex them until a certain size. That seems to vary a bit from fish to fish. I have seen quite small females start showing some of their trademark blotches, but the problem is you can't be sure that you have a male until later. It usually will have to be a best guess when they are small. Good luck!
Neil

H

Herzeleid

Thanks for your reply.

Well I guess I have no choice but to wait til my apisto nijsseni get a little older before I can tell the sexes apart.

greetings from Warsaw

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….