• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto mix from Colombia

Tom C

5 Year Member
I've got many beautiful apistos from the Inirida area, Colombia.
Here are some of them.
But to identify these Apistogramma uaupesi - like beauties, is (too) difficult....

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Larry Rogers

5 Year Member
Here are some of them.
But to identify these Apistogramma uaupesi - like beauties, is (too) difficult....

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx
Appears to be a morph of inridae
Here are some of them.

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx
Appears to be a morph of iniridae, threadfin dwarf cichlid.

Tom C

5 Year Member
...Appears to be a morph of iniridae, threadfin dwarf cichlid.
Thank you for your input.
However: Adult males of Apistogramma iniridae have oval caudal fins, that might be squared off on the posterior end:

resizeimage.aspx

They normally don't show any caudal fin extensions...
I think my fishes might be found among forms of A. uaupesi, A. sp. "Blutkehl/Cutthroat", A. sp. "Segelflossen", A. sp. "Putzer", A. flabellicauda
and A. lineata.

Tom C

5 Year Member
No, I'm sorry Frank.
Unfortunately I did not succeed in getting either the D1, D4, D5 or D6 (the latter is really spectacular!) home, as I hoped, this time.
But I'm working on it..., and hope to succeed later this year.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I'm very much looking forward to D6 then :) When you speak of A. lineata, do you mean the fish in the last of the above pics? Shape and pattern of the caudal fin seem to be correct, at least. Would be nice to finally see a picture of a live A. lineata, because I think the pics I have seen so far of supposed A. lineata don't show this species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have photos of A. lineata collected at the type locality by Heiko Bleher and Chris Englezou about a year ago. None of Tom's photos match A. lineata. The last fish shows no rows of abdominal spots that are seen on A. lineata. My guess is that its a young, not fully developed uaupesi-like species.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
you are right Mike, but usually abdominal markings are quite mood-dependent and therefore I didn't rated their abscence in the above picture as something that already rules out A. lineata. Do the abdominal spots of A. lineata never vanish completely?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I haven't seen enough photos of this species in various moods, but all that I have seen show at least a dusky spot on the posterior edge of scales below the lateral band.

Larry Rogers

5 Year Member
I haven't seen enough photos of this species in various moods, but all that I have seen show at least a dusky spot on the posterior edge of scales below the lateral band.
I obviously need to up date my literature and studies. You guys have mentioned several l am totally unfamiliar with. It has been years since I initially studied apistos and I have kust gotten back into them in the past two years. Time to hit the books. Any good current recommendations?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK. For a positive ID, I need a good photo of the pattern on the caudal fin. You might want to ask Werner if he knows where the fish were collected. He usually knows this information.

Colossus

5 Year Member
Unfortunatly I don't have additional pictures because the male passed away 1 month ago.
Uwe told me he caught the fishes in Venezuela but I don't know were exactly.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm sorry to read of your loss of the male. Without knowing the caudal pattern it would be hard to separate A. uaupesi, A. lineata, and A. flabellicauda. In most every respect these 3 forms all share identical characteristics in fins, body shape, scales, and dark markings. Römer (CA1) already noted that A. uaupesi is polychromatic - even within a single spawn. I, like Staeck hints (BB285), wonder if this group of species is more likely just a single species (A. uaupesi) that shows minor population differences. At best it is a superspecies, like A. agassizii (sensu lato). The only way to know for certain is for someone to do genetic tests on all 3 forms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….