• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto MacMasterii

bettasandbeads

Hi. Thanks for letting me join your group.
i am hoping someone has an easy way to sex Macmasterii juveniles?
I have about 40 that are 1.5" -1.75" plus another spawn of about 80 that are 1/2" in size.
I sold off 50 last month before they were big enough to sex but still have the 40 to sex. Have several shops that will take them but I need to sell them in pairs.
One person suggested I separate them all into individual containers.
Some of them have started to show orange/yellow on their tail fin and a little black on the dorsal fin.but as soon as I try to caught them they lose their colour.
Sorry don't know how to post a picture. Not good with computers.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If these are a domestic color strain, instead of a wild form, females will have some male color characteristics. This makes them very hard to sex. Wild females - and juvenile, as well as 'sneaker males' - rarely show any color in the caudal fin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….