• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID Help Please

JDogg

5 Year Member
ok i picked this guy up about a week ago. they did not have any females so i only got the one male for now.

he was labled "Blue-Headed" Apistogramma agassizii.

i do not believe that is what i got?

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

some suggested ID i have gotten on other forums are...Apistogramma inconspicua, Apistogramma agassizi "Blue-Face", "Steel-Blue" Apistogramma borellii, Apistogramma resticulosa, or some yet IDed species/Hybrid.

Please help, i would love to id and breed him if possilbe (unless he is a hybrid :frown:)

thanks!

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Hi JDogg,
It's look like a male Apistogramma sp. "Steel-Blue". The Females rate in this species is relatively low, so they are quite hard to find...

JDogg

5 Year Member
Hi JDogg,
It's look like a male Apistogramma sp. "Steel-Blue". The Females rate in this species is relatively low, so they are quite hard to find...
so you are saying it is a un-scientifically described species not a hybrid? (most likely at least)

I wonder if the low number of females is related to low birth of them due to environmental conditions (I have heard temp affects sex of fry) or is it just that the females are not "pretty" and are thus rarely sold? :rolleyes:

Greg PL

5 Year Member
search the forum to pick your version :)
there are no information of collecting them in the wild. the species appeared in the Far East and spread worldwide. there are probably 2 threads which will help you a lot.

JDogg

5 Year Member
search the forum to pick your version :)
there are no information of collecting them in the wild. the species appeared in the Far East and spread worldwide. there are probably 2 threads which will help you a lot.

thanks it is realy a shame that LFS (and i would concider that one i got this guy at to be one of the better i have seen) do not know or care enough to properly ID the fish.

on the tank they were labeled agassizii (i knew that was wrong) the receit said borellii. kind of frustrating, i do not mind so much that he might be a hybrid (i do not normaly suport hybrids, but he is a very attractive fish and it is not his fault) but it would have been nice that the lfs gave the customer some kind of clue. :mad:

anyways thanks guys for the help :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
it is realy a shame that LFS (and i would concider that one i got this guy at to be one of the better i have seen) do not know or care enough to properly ID the fish.

Don't be too hard on the LFS. It is impossible to be an expert on every fish they sell. They have to depend on their suppliers for names. I imagine this is the name provided to the importer by the commercial breeder who originally supplied them & it was just passed on. I'm afraid that we the hobbyist are the ones who need to be the experts.

A

apistonhia

dude i got 2 of the same exact apisto. the guy at the LFS told me it was a pair of A. borelli. turns out they are both males. im kinda looking around for females now. it sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….