• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto for my water?

Rasmusm

5 Year Member
Hi all

My tank is 576l heavily planted (low tech) I have 15 neon tetras and 6 otocinclus. Planning to add around 10ish corydoras soon. Also there's around 30 shrimps

Was wondering what type of peaceful dwarf cichlid I can keep?
Tap TDS is 280-300, well water. Tap pH is 7.5 tank is not heated, but it is still around 23.5-24c as of now.

Room temp is never below 22c.
I was thinking about the micro geophagus ramirazi, but I guess my temps are too low for them ? Are there any types of apistos I can keep?

Thanks,

/Rasmus

MacZ

Far too cold for Venezuelan Rams (they do best between 26.5 and 29°C), but if you want to stick to the Microgeophagus-Genus, maybe look at Bolivian Rams (M. altispinosus). Those are ok with 24-25°C. For M. ramirezi the pH (and deduced hardness) are also quite high. For longterm keeping or breeding definitely not suitable.

The TDS alone don't say much actually, as the T, standing for "total", makes clear ALL dissolved solids are measured. This includes GH, KH, Nitrates, Salts, pretty much everything.

Apistogramma you might want to take a look at: A. borellii, A. macmasteri, A. trifasciata and domestic strains of A. cacatuoides and A. agassizii.

Rasmusm

5 Year Member
Thank you for replying, I honestly don't know wmthe GH/kh og my water, but I would assume it's fairly hardish, getting slot of limescale on my rimless tank fast..

Rams are off the table :)
Will look into those you mentioned there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….