• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Cold Case

Chromedome

5 Year Member
About 15 years ago I had an Apistogramma that was labeled as sp. "Rio Malone". I recently was checking through my Breeder award Records from the previous chairman, and someone had changed the name in the records to maciliensis. As you can see from the photo below, it is certainly not one of the trifasciata types. However, this has me wondering if The Wise One can give me an idea as to which complex it falls into. I suspect that an actual ID is near impossible, as I was reasonably certain at the time that "Rio Malone" was a corruption of the real location name, and the photo isn't really very good. However, if anyone else here remembers that far back, I'd love to hear comments.
Apisto Rio Malone.jpg

Sorry, meant to put this in ID section.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"The Wise One" examined many photos/specimens of A. sp. Malome back in the last century.:D After corresponding with Marco Lacerda (owner of Trop Rio at the time) about this fish, we are pretty sure we know where it came from. It was collected at the same time and in the same area as A. erythrua (=A. sp. Mamoré, aka "A. maciliensis"). Note the similarity of the names 'Malome' and 'Mamore'. We both thought Malome was a corruption (misspelling) of the name Mamoré. The fish is a resticulosa-complex species that probably is the same as A. cf. resticulosa Mamoré Blue (A 16 in DATZ book). Hope this help (Lord, is my mind cluttered with this kind of trash!)

Last edited:

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike, that explains why someone labelled these fish this way in our BAP listing. I know the feeling, my brain was plugged up with two Killifish groups for years; walked away for a couple of years, and both are far worse than when I left!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….