• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto books

rr16

5 Year Member
Hi (this is probably aimed at Mike),
I know the question has probably been asked a million times, but which books are best and are they available on ebay? Also, how easy is it to get hold of journal articles describing each species? I've seen links to a few, but not always able to access as I don't have access to scientific journals these days (used to love those uni days!). in particular, at the moment I am after the species description by Romer for A. panduro, but when I copied and pasted the link from Tom's site it came up with not the right page, so am guessing it's not easily available anymore. Apologies if I'm asking daft questions.
Cheers.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not really a daft question. Yes, there are many threads covering this topic. Just do a search here. As for scientific descriptions, many are available on line, but many are not and still copyrighted. For open source copies go to the Biodiversity Heritage Library web site. Others you'll have to 'scrounge' a bit, like I did. I think I've got all of the original descriptions for every species and most synonym.It has taken 35 years of scrounging to do this. As for A. panduro, the description, together with A. atahualpa, is available to members of the American Cichlid Association in their journal's (Buntbarsche Bulletin) archive.

regani

5 Year Member
Scientific articles that require a subscription may be available through a university library either online or in person. You don't necessarily need to be a student but can sign in as a guest.
If you don't know the exact title article or the journal the librarians will be able to help you

gerald

5 Year Member
JSTOR, which provides Copeia and other journals online, allows anybody to create a free account and read up to three articles at a time, for 2 weeks. They will of course tempt you to get an unlimited paid subscription.

Tph

Free journals with articles on Apistogramma:
Vertebrate zoology
Neotropical Ichthyology

other journals (easier to reach with an academic subscription):
Boletim do Instituto de Pesca
Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters
Zootaxa

this is not a systematic search (just something I browsed this morning). those member with more structured knowledge on apisto can expand the list.

Teo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….