• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto behavior question?

Eddiekay1010

I'm somewhat new still to Apisto's, having spawned and raised 4 species so far. Tonight, observing a pair of A. cf. eunotus 'Orangeschwanz' F0, female with a brood of fry, while the full lights were on, the male was in what I would describe as sub-dominant coloration, dark, vertical barring, and staying out of the way of the female. This type of behavior is what I had observed with most my other species of Apistogramma, but when the white light turned off and the blue lights stayed on tonight(I have a 10 minute delay between full lights and a low blue light in the morning and night) the male immediately turned into the aggressor and chased the female around. Has anyone noticed this type of behavior?

hengeli

5 Year Member
Quite the opposite, breeders usually remove the male to another tank after the fry become wrigglers.
Keep in mind its usually the female who is the aggressor when she is watching over a brood of fry. After the male has done his job(fertilisation), its a good idea to seperate the couple so you don't lose fish. Female will be fine with the brood - just need to start the baby brine hatchery so the babies don't starve.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Once the female brings [or I see fert. eggs] the young out I remove the male from the take/tanks and let the female raise the fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Removing the male works if it does not bother the female. Otherwise the stress of catching the male may cause the female to eat the eggs/fry. Males can be very cunning about avoiding a net. I know. I tried to catch a male A. wolli for about a week with no success. The fry are tiny when they first appear (1.5 mm TL). After 10 days of me and the female harassing the poor male the fry are 4 mm TL and everyone is behaving themselves.

anewbie

While not really relevant to the discussion females can also be quite clever at avoiding the net. I finally gave up trying to catch my female borelli in a 29 after 6 weeks and conceded it was easier to add a male. She would come out to eat but if she saw my net even near the water - she dashed and hid behind the plants.

Blacksheep1

Also not relevant to the thread , but leave the net in the tank , just sit it in there , let them see it and get used to it. They’ll be more comfortable to it so don’t see it as a threat , even if it’s a couple of days it can help. Especially if you can drop some favourite food in it.

Sometimes ;)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, that often works, but not always. Tried that with this wily old male. It didn't work. Every time he saw me raise my hand for the net handle he would hide in his favorite cave in the back of the tank.:D

anewbie

That also failed for me (leaving the net in); i left it there for a day - sometime i think the problem is the netting i have is black - i wonder if clear or white would work better. This is the 29 she hid in; her favorite spot was in the center back where the steams of the plant raise upward; it didn't help that there is a piece of drift wood there. Anyway I got her a male to keep her company - he is much more uncaring about nets and such.
tc.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….