• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto agression and territory (Help)

DriipSolo

I have 2 male apistos and I’ve noticed 1 always chases away the other quite often. To me it looks like the more aggressive one wants the whole bottom tank territory for himself. Can I set my tank up (40 gal) in a way where they each claim a side? I’m starting to feel that the less aggressive apisto will get picked off and die.. anything helps!!

MacZ

You have to structure the tank correctly by breaking the lines of sight on the fishes usual swimming height. That's the lowest 10-15cm above the ground. Otherwise they can not avoid each other.

DriipSolo

You have to structure the tank correctly by breaking the lines of sight on the fishes usual swimming height. That's the lowest 10-15cm above the ground. Otherwise they can not avoid each other.
Do you have any examples of some tank structures I can see to get an idea? Also will adding “community fish” help?

anewbie

Here are two of my tanks. They are not great examples because they are a bit over kill but there are lots of places a fish can hide not only from another fish but myself:
b3.jpgy2.jpg

Because of the plants heavy growth you can't really see the driftwood but both tanks have 4 to 6 pieces of driftwood. I try to find driftwood that can form little caves under them via curves or whatever; of course sometime the fishes help by digging a little int he soft substrate. It is important that these 'caves' are not just arches as you can then see to the other side...

Also i find that dense patches of java fern slightly off the substrate make excellent hiding places - i don't actually buy large patches of java fern i just buy a small one and then let it grow and grow.....

The other thing you can use (which is more common by the purist) is leaf litter as the fishes can hide under the leaves....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….