• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto agassizii's

Demuxx

5 Year Member
Hiyas, I've had a pair of agassiziis for a few weeks now and been trying to breed them. recently i've noticed the male keeps chasing the female around nipping at her fins. Is this normal or do i have to split them up?

Apistt_ed

Hello,

Yes this is normal. the male will chase the female until she is full with eggs and once that happens, the chasing stops and courting/spawning will occur. If the chasing gets bad, with physical attacks, add a few more hiding spots for her (coconut shells, tera cotta pots, caves, etc.) and when she is ready, she'll seek him out. If not, then separate them with conventional tank divider or take the male out altogether till the female is fat and introduce him back in. best luck. john

wasabi8888

5 Year Member
How long before the female is ready? My agas are pretty much in the same situation. In fact i just bought another female to see whether the male will have any reaction.

Currently i separated the new female and the male withn a divider. I took out the old female to see whether she has any internal parasites. Prior to putting the divider between the male and the new female, the male was chasing the female around. Afraid that he will hurt her, i put the divider in. Now I am not sure when to remove the divider. Do i wait for her to change color to bright yellow?

Stuart

5 Year Member
Hi

Well the answer depends on what you feed them and how often.

I can get my Agassizi to spawn every 10 to 14 days when I remove the eggs or fry if feed on assorted live foods.Things like bbs, water fleas, microworms, white worms and mossy wrigglers.

I also find that the chasing of females by the males is reduced as the female response quickly to his advances.

As to when to remove the devider well thats a good question.

I remove my deviders as a bove ( 10 - 14 days ) but I do check the female to make sure she is full of eggs.

I assume your tank is large enough and the temp around 26 - 28C.

Good luck

Stuart

5 Year Member
Twice a day should be adequate, but if your really keen the old rule of little and often works really well.

I removed fry from 2 pairs of Panduro yesterday and to reduce the stress on them and encourage them to spawn quickly I spent an hour in the evening feeding them live blood worms, small amounts at a time to insure all were consumed.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….