• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto agassizi behavior change after a few changes

Strong Style

Thanks to great advice here on prophylactic treatment against pathogens of commercial apistos, I've gotten a pair of A. agassizi to stay healthy for quite a few weeks now. No vertical abdominal bloating and healthy feces, as opposed to my prior debacle with A. cacatuiodes (these were never in contact with the pair I'm describing here thanks to separate quarantine). The female is now much plumper than when I got her (is this because she is gravid?) and has been going from dull yellow to bright yellow and back lately.

A few days ago, I did a water change. I also gradually reduced the temperature from 88 F to 78 F from then until today (ich treatment as a precaution due to contamination). Moreover, I made a lot more plant cover by rooting some large amazon swords. Since then, the apistos have changed in behavior. The male is no longer bullying the female but rather staying by her side and occasionally nipping at her belly. In response to his attention the female does an odd swimming posture, as if she's displaying her side and belly to him. The female is not out in the open as much has taken to hanging out outside of caves (under the moss roofs that I have added to the caves) and plant covered areas more now and the male this has un-aggressively followed her. They seem less active around the tank (it is 55 gallons) but still go after food vigorously (which is given in the non-planted sections of the tank).

Am I witnessing breeding behavior or a health concern? Has the temperature reduction or the addition of more plant cover triggered the behavioral changes? Should I revert any changes?

Thank you for your valuable help!

chris1805

5 Year Member
Lowering the temperature has always an influence on them. At high temperatures your fish metabolism is very high so they are probably a lot more active. This also ages your fish really quick. Giving your fish more cover makes that it is hard for the male to see the female and chase her. Your fish being yellow could indeed show that she wants to breed. Some pictures of your fish and a video would help a lot to help you any further.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
.... Since then, the apistos have changed in behavior. The male is no longer bullying the female but rather staying by her side and occasionally nipping at her belly. In response to his attention the female does an odd swimming posture, as if she's displaying her side and belly to him.
Yes that is exactly it, the female displaying to the male that she is ready to mate.

If you have a look at <"@Bart Hazes"> posts in <"Spawning A. norberti & ......"> you can see the female behaving like this, and also the size of cave entrance you need for the female to feel secure.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….