• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any personal info on Piauiensis ?

S

smulemor

In about one month`s time I`m getting a couple of Apistogramma Piauiensis youngsters and i`m so looking forward to it... Here in Norway it seemes to be the BIG cichlids that people like so getting the smaller ones is quite a job :(
I`m getting mine from a private breeder and have greate confidence in him but i`m looking for personal opinions on theese fish here :)

From before i have a 312 litres tank wich contains 2 bolivian rams who lay eggs all the times, i`m currently getting rid of my tetras and cory`s so i can set up the tank with more thought of breeding.
It also have a bunch of otocincluse`s to keep the algae away, although, i`m not very bothered by this, weirdly enough and a Garra Ceylonensis.

Tank number two is a 63 litre wich contains a mix of everything.. two ruby guramis, two dwarf loaches and a garra ceylonensis in quarantine because he was a big sadist towards the other one.. the garra is on movingfoot because i think this is to small a tank for him. I also have a pair of Apistogramma Agassizzi here but this is not fish for breeding because i suspect they have grown up in poor condition and the grown up size on them is just 4 cm (bought theese fish because i felt sorry for them in the shop... no hidingplaces, lousy water etc)

Tank three is also a 63 litre and it currently contains 4 otocincluses and awaits the piauiensis bunch.... I`m not sure if i`m gonna put the apistos in the big tank together with the ram`s or if they would prefer the smaller one Without the ram`s ?

All tanks have fine sand and a lot of plants, coconutcaves, roots and hidingplaces.
I` also planning of getting some kind of pencilfisk to have a "triggerfish" in the tank.

Any thoughts about this ? (and please excuse my english.. I`m a bit rusty ;))

P.W.

5 Year Member
I think your planning is just fine! The best way to settle a group of apistos is to keep them in a tank with peaceful company. Otos are great.
Perhaps you can add a group of guppy, killies or small tetras as dither fishes.
The apistos tend to get better self confidence if there are some other fishes swimming above them in the tank.
Just sharing my own experiences! Good luck with your apistos and please write some report later on how everything turns out with this setup.

Best regards/ P.W.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….