• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggression

ron1njdds

I have one couple of apistos (triple red cockatoos) in a 20L which has driftwood, rocks, leaf litter and 3 caves. I have a couple of guppies as dither fish and to provide the occasional live food they like. The problem is, this female apisto who does not have eggs or fry to defend has claimed the whole tank as her territory and attacks the guppies relentlessly. She just bit a chunk out of his tail. I have 6 Otos coming and I sure hope she doesn't attack them. She never is aggressive towards the male. Any suggestions?

Happyfins

Buy a bigger tank. It's the equivalent of keeping a dog in a room with rabbits. You might be lucky or the dog might get bored. Speaking of dogs and rabbits: Nobody would buy a mammal and keep it in a cupboard but every body expects to keep fish in a jam jar. Be kind to your fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think he means 20 liters, but a 20 gallon long tank. This should be suitable for a breeding tank for A. cacatuoides. I'd suggest adding a few more dithers to 'spread the wealth' of aggression so to speak. Fish are like peoples. Some are naturally more aggressive than others.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….