• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

agassizii max size

jimjon

5 Year Member
how big can an agassizii grow, what size di they start breeding? thks

Neil

jimjon,
If you count the lyretail, the male can reach about 3.5". But 2.5" is more common. The females max out at about 2".
The size that they can start breeding at relates to their age as well. I have had agassizii females lay viable eggs at 4months old and under 1", but the male usually has to be closer to 6months to be a viable partner. However there are exceptions to every rule!
Neil

jimjon

5 Year Member
Neil, thanks for the info.

Are all the different color morphs similar in the sense of breeding them? Or are there some that are harder to breed than others?

Neil

jimjon,
Yes there are different levels of difficulty in breeding different species-forms of agassizii. Some (reds) are pretty easy and others a little tricky (alenquer) and others are down-right tough (tefe). But it usually has more to do with individual situations , than with species. Many times I can't get an "easy" fish to spawn and have no problem with a toughie. Sometimes it is just a matter of moving the fish to a different tank or changing the pairing.
Neil

C

carinotetraodon

hey Neil...

do you know how well the apistogramma or which type would do best in a 55 gallon with discus, angels and some rainbows. some of the less aggressive species?

Neil

carinotetraodon,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Wow, that is a wide open question. Both discus and Rainbows are IMO good tankmates for most apistos, because they typically occupy a different zone of water. I don't really thing that you need to look for a very passive apisto for a tank with these animals in it. They are either bigger or faster than apistos and would not be likely bothered by even aggessive species.
If you want more info, you can do a forum search on Dithers, Tankmates, Discus and Rainbows. There have been numerous good discussions in the past here that you may gain some good insights from! The search is at the top of the page in the menu. Good luck, Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
carinotetraodon, i am not a 'discus purist', whatever that is, but i must agree with the old timers when they say, the best tank mates for discus are more discus, and the more the better. BUT- different specimens will get along with other fish better than others. my 2 discus get along fine with hardier tetras (rummy's), apistos and rams, but there are many ways to have conflicts with the mix that you have described, esp with the discus and the angels, and lesser so, with the discus and the apistos. there are no hard and fast rules, but discus can become great hunters esp when they pair.

the rules of thumb i use are, as long as the discus are the boss, they will do better with tank mates, and a breeding pair of discus will not do very well with many other fish, including other discus. also, quiter species who don't eat really agressively are better as well. discus like to take their time eating. if you are going to try adding tankmates with discus, make sure that you have an alternate plan if things are not what you would expect. (more tanks!)

personally, i also avoid nocturnal fish with my discus. imo, discus are 'the king of the aquarium', but they can be a pita when trying to mix them. i had 2 small adults together with 8 glowlight tetras, in a 20 gal, and they killed all of the tetras overnight, when they paired.

my best luck has been with a single discus, 2 rams and some rummynose tetras in a 20, and my present pair (not paired yet), 2 pairs of dwarfs and some rummy's in a 35. providing cover for the smaller fish, AND swimming room for the discus can be a trick, but is not impossible. not too much cover, but enough. also imo, a bit of agression is normal, and even appreciated in the s/a cichlid tank, until it gets too great. any cichlid tank imo, is an exercise in managing agression, and enjoying the activity.

good luck, rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….