• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi id please

danbb

First is sold as "double red" and second ...? I believe it could be "Rio Japura" but not sure.
Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think that you can determine which population comes from specific rivers based on minor caudal fin differences alone. There are minor caudal fin pattern differences even within each population of A. agassizii. I can recognize about 4 or 5 forms within the A. agassizii superspecies. Each is isolated regionally, but not by river system alone. Without knowing where the fish was collected I would never attach a population name to it. Based on the 1 photo of a young, not fully developed, male, I would not even try to guess which form it is.

danbb

I don't know the collecting place, the only information I have is that the fish was imported from Asia. Maybe when the fish will be adult we can determine the type.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it came from Asia, then it is a domestic bred specimen. It is impossible to give it a location name because we know nothing about where its ancestors were collected in the wild. For all we know, it could be from a mix of locations or even forms. If I were to describe it, I would call it a domestic red-top/red-tail strain of A. agassizii. I also would not be surprised if the offspring showed several different color morphs. I doubt it is a 'set' strain.

danbb

Thanks Mike. :)
I'll ask again the seller, maybe he can tell me more, or try to talk with the one who imported this agassizi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….