• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agasizii Breeding set up

ThePuzzleMaker

Hey guys,
I am starting a breeding proyect to breed apistogramma agasizii. Currently I have a 30 gallon and a 40 gallon available. Planning on using both of them for breeding but had a few questions on what to do after the spawn.
Do i need to remove the parents? remove only the male?
If i don`t need to remove them, can the fry grow in the same tank or will the parents eat them/kill them?
Planning to do 1 male and 2 females in each tank.

Any tips would be appreciated, even if it`s off topic :)

gerald

5 Year Member
Usually fry can remain with both parents for a couple months until the pair is ready to spawn again (they'll start chasing the kids). But some mothers dont want dad around after fry emerge from the cave, in which case he should be removed. You just have to watch and be ready to intervene if needed. Tank dividers are helpful if you dont have extra tanks.

ThePuzzleMaker

One option that I thought was to use one of the tank to breed and the other as grow out. The one I am going to sell, my lfs wants as them as juveniles, so they won`t be in the grow out for too long

TCMontium

5 Year Member
One option that I thought was to use one of the tank to breed and the other as grow out. The one I am going to sell, my lfs wants as them as juveniles, so they won`t be in the grow out for too long

Does your LFS want them sexable or not? If they need to be sexable you will be probably needing to grow them out for a few months, but I do not know at what size a juvenile agassizii would show sexual dimorphism.
Also, if you are lucky/unlucky and get more than 1 clutch at a time, lets say 2 or 3 (even 4 synchronized clutches are possible if you will be having 4 females), that could make your fry count in several hundreds, meaning a LOT of feeding and waste production.

ThePuzzleMaker

Maybe I'll use only the 30 for breeding and the 40 as grow out. Besides I have several totes and cycled sponge filters to make emergency tanks.
I keep african cichlids so emergency hospital tanks are a necessity to me anyways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….