• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Abacaxis sp.

martink

Got 1 male and 3 female abacaxis. They look still juvenile and are just settling in. No real aggression from the females as there is plenty hiding places in the leafs. Any comments will be appreciated to see if they look healthy and fit; I never kept them before.

martink

Love the purple throat. I kept a small group in a 60litre for a couple of years.
I thought the males face was a bit pointy in comparison to photos online, but he's still juvenile so I wasn't sure if there was a problem. I like them, the purple is a very interesting mark.

GPistos

5 Year Member
He will grow well, he has nice fins, maybe give him some blackworms dipped in bugbites wafers, he will pop amazing colors.
by the markings on his side looks like he was dominant male in his group (note: it doesn't mean he was aggressive, aggressive males have different marks) you can just say he was the king of the herd and didnt need to fight for the spot.
great potential pairs.. lucky you.

martink

He will grow well, he has nice fins, maybe give him some blackworms dipped in bugbites wafers, he will pop amazing colors.
by the markings on his side looks like he was dominant male in his group (note: it doesn't mean he was aggressive, aggressive males have different marks) you can just say he was the king of the herd and didnt need to fight for the spot.
great potential pairs.. lucky you.
thanks, didn't know you could get all that. I've got him eating bloodworm live and finally got a BBS hatch after that one in the video, my water is super soft and they are a pain in the backside. Thanks for the reassurance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The same is true for blackworms or any aquatic organism that is collected in freshwater stagnant/septic conditions. If you feel the need to feed worms, then terrestrial worms like Grindal/Whiteworms are much safer. Due to worms' high fat content they should be used sparingly and primarily for conditioning fish for breeding.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….