• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A wangenflecken

Question, my a wangenflecken have proved to be amazing first time parents. Their fry are now two months old and the mother has laid again. Should I start removing the older fry in preparation of the new arrivals?

regani

5 Year Member
I don't have sp Wangenflecken, but in most apistos I have the mother will try to drive the old fry away when the new spawn arrives. In a tank where room to escape is limited she may end up killing quite a few of the older generation.
But then, I had some pairs where the mother only gave chase and two generations of fry coexisted for quite a while in that tank

DwarfApisto

If u have the means to get the fry out and tank to move them to?! Pull em out. But if u not concerned about the out come?? Then just let things work out the way it was suppose to.

fart

5 Year Member
My experience with A. sp Wangenflecken is that the older fry will eat their younger siblings, and as regani said the mother and father might kill the older ones but sometimes just chase them around.
I usually leave the older ones in the aquarium (densely planted), and some of the old and the new fry survives. One time i had 4 generations of A. sp Wangenflecken in the same aquarium.

I pulled as many as I could catch. I can't get the others. The parents chase them around like crazy, and I can't catch the rest. So I'm letting it fly

That's no lie, I had my extremely pregnant girlfriend helping me try to get them out. But there has to be at least 20-30 left in the tank, so I'll let nature take it's course. I was hoping that these guys would be a bit bigger before the parents laid again. But such is life.

merlin

5 Year Member
Try a small bottle trap. You can find details on youtube. If you put moss in the bottle and around it you will attract the fry to the safety of the moss. Put their favourite food in the bottle and you will catch a few. Remove fry that are caught, regularly as the water will go off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….