• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. viejita breeding?

J

Jim

I recently put a male and two female A. viejita in a ten gallon tank hoping they would breed. It appears I got lucky as one of the females is spending all her time in an over turned clay pot. I can't see into the pot so if they have bred, how long does it take for the hatch and how long to the free swimming stage?
Anything special that I need to be doing, other than getting a brine shrimp hatch going?
Thanks
Jim
PS. Neil, this pair are from those you sent to me last fall.

Neil

Jim,
Congratulations! They should hatch in about 2 to 3 days and swim free in another 4 or 5.

Anything special that I need to be doing, other than getting a brine shrimp hatch going?

Nope, just get ready to feed the little guys once they are free swimming. Make sure that the pair is getting along OK and that there are too many other fish in the tank that will cause problems. I would probably pull the other female.
Good luck,
Neil

J

Jim

Thanks Neil,
I'm reasonably sure there are eggs now. The female is staying with the clay pot and defending it from the other female and the male also. She never leaves it for more than a few seconds. With any luck, I should see fry about Wed/Thurs of next week based on your response.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….