• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.trifasciata sick?

Apistt_ed

From that picture, it's really hard to tell what it is. There can be a meriad of things that it could be and hole in the head is definitely a possiblity, not saying that your fish has it but it's always a possiblity in cichlids. Everything from TB to minor scratches can be possible in dwarfs. One scenario is as it's happened to my fish. Before anything, did you have any clay pots in your tank? and preferably the ones with the leak hole too small for the fish to get through... well, I saw my aggie male, who once could fit through the drainage hole of the clay pots always chasing the females around and then one day he couldn't go through the holes in hot pursuit anymore but to my amazement, he still tried! And till this day, I still catch him do it every once in a while! Well, the first time he did try to go through, I noticed he lost a good amount of scales in his forehead and it looked sort of like yours might have in the picture! Hopefully this isn't anything and only a scratch... but if you could get better pictures there definitely would be a better chance of determining what it could be.

john

Randall

5 Year Member
Sick Apistogramma trifasciata

Dear Boy,

Can you furnish a clearer photo, please? It's hard to tell exactly what's going on.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

boyohboy

5 Year Member

Zapisto

5 Year Member
when you say you got the fish from oliver in a other post , my first reaction was to tell you, all oliver fish are wild .......

so i dont know if you know what wild mean , but all wild fish have disease.

now you can try tetracycline with this to see if it give some result.
but usually it is difficult to give a fish good and precise medication.

i will take a closer look at your pics and will try to help.

boyohboy

5 Year Member
That particular fish has passed away :(

Yeah, these are wild-caught fish. But as you said it's hard to say for sure what's the diease is. Even if it's indeed hole-in-the-head, there's no definite sure "cause" it seems as I'm searching the nets.

Is it a good idea to "pre-treat" wild-caught fish?

How much tetracyclin is to be used?

Randall

5 Year Member
boyohboy said:
Is it a good idea to "pre-treat" wild-caught fish?

How much tetracyclin is to be used?

Hello Boy,

Sorry to learn about your fish.

Methinks it's always a good idea to quarantine new fish, especially if they're wild-caught. If there's no sign of disease, then it's not necessary to medicate during quarantine.

Tetracycline is an antibiotic (used for bacterial protozoa) that is light intolerant. For this reason, it might be better to use other antibiotics when necessary; i.e., Neomycin Sulfate.

I don't know exactly from what your fish was suffering, but it looks a lot more like an encapsulated nemotode (a parasite) than Heximita (hole-in-the-head disease) to me. I don't think there was much that you could have done.

Take care.

Randall Kohn

boyohboy

5 Year Member
Yeah Quranteen new wild fish is for sure. For this batch of fish, I did not quranteen them per say... but they are in their own tank so I guess that's the same heh :)

I've just noticed another tiny A.tri that looks funny. Sorry I couldn't take a pic coz he's hiding. But it's like.... only the right side of the fish head area is very dark, but the rest of the body and other side of head is light (normal) color.... does that rings a bell? diease or just weird?

On the good side of thing... yesterday when I was feeding them, I noticed out in the open area on the sand, there's a lonesome wiggler (fry) wiggling there. Considering the tnak has only the A.tri.... I'd say that's a A.tri babies? I guess some of the bigger A.tri hiding among the rocks must have breed, and that one fry got washed out by the water current?! :)

My A.bitan in the other tank have laid eggs once as well, but ate the eggs after a day. :?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….