• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp"Inca50" amd A. sp."glazer"

Peter Lovett

5 Year Member
On friday I will be picking up Two male and 3 female of A. sp"Inca50" and A. sp."glazer".

Does any one on the list have them and could any one give me some info on them please.

Randall

5 Year Member
A. sp. inca50 & glazer

Dear Peter,

Might you know of any other names used for these fish? Although I've heard of both of the names that you cite, I don't think they're known by same any longer, making it difficult to get information for you.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Peter Lovett

5 Year Member
The above names are the ones i am purchasing under and thought it was best that i used them just in case there was a difference

Okay I think,

A. sp"Inca50" = A. sp. "Inca" - High-finned Nijsenni
A. sp."glazer" = A. sp. 'Maulbruter'

I hope this helps.

I will also post some pics when i get them.

Randall

5 Year Member
Your Apistos

Dear Peter,

Thank you for the other names.

Both of the fish you ask about are quite new to the hobby, so I don't have awfully much to tell you, unfortunately. There has been some discussion concerning both species, however, here on the Forum. From others I've known, A. sp. "Maulbruter" should be housed with a sand substrate, otherwise attempts at spawning are unsuccessful. This fish sifts through the substrate, and there seems to be a connection between using sand, as opposed to a courser gravel, and successful brood care.

The "high-finned" nijsseni is probably a member of the Apistogramma nijsseni group, along with A. nijsseni, panduro, lyretail I (leierschwanz I) and lyretail II (leierschwanz II). As such, it should be maintained in soft, acidic water. As a rule, this group is quite sensitive to water quality, so frequent partial water changes are important.

I hope this helps you out; sorry I don't have more for you.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Neil

Peter,
You are correct on your fish. they are High-finned nijsenni and A.sp"Maulbruter".
It is entirely likely that the high-finned nijsenni can handle water parameter that are a little higher and still spawn, but as with the nijsenni and panduro, a little soft and more acidic is better. Probably 6pH, 1-2GH and KH, and temp 78. However, I am not sure about this because it is still not in the US.
However, aside from the sand substrate that Randall already mentioned, I have found sp."Maulbruter" to be a real toughie. Any small successes that I have had have come from extemely soft, acidic water maintenance.
Good luck with them. I am looking forward to getting the Inca50 after such a long wait.

Peter Lovett

5 Year Member
Well I went to pick the fish today a 130 mile trip in the rain and the dark not much fun. I got some more info on the sp. â€Âinca50â€Â. They came from one small stream on a collection trip to Peru, all most fully covered by trees and other land plant life near Tatapota. The name that has been given to them is only a guess as the person who caught them thinks they could be something completely new.

They are now settling to there new home, but are have a little bit of a hard time the juruensis have decided to spawn.

They don’t look like any Apisto I have ever seem before have a look.

http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/inca50.htm

They are the four at the bottom the first two are the spawning juruensis.

They are not at all shy and look great. If i had to discribe them i would say they look more like a Lake Victorian Cichlid than they do an Apisto. Though they do have the red ring in the tail like the nijsseni.

Peter Lovett

5 Year Member
No i payed about £15-00 each for five fish which is about $120 in total.

But as i have said before no one is too sure at the moment what they are, but what ever they are they are very intresting and well worth the price.

I hope that i will be able to give you more info as and when i get it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….