• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.piauiensis?

Joost S

5 Year Member
I recently purchased these fish as being A. piauiensis Red Blue.

a_piau_v_II.jpg

a_piauiensis_m_400.jpg

I will try to get a better one (total) of the female fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They might be A. piauiensis, but there are not enough dark markings visible to be certain. If I had to guess only from these photos, I would say A. sp. Xingu. Photos of the female and fright/threat pattern on the male would be very helpful.

Joost S

5 Year Member
Thank you for the first reaction, Mike. Fright pattern is something I never realy noticed with these fish, except for loosing color. Here are two other pics.

a_piauiensis_m2_400.jpg

a_piauiensis_v_400.jpg

not the best picture, sorry

It is a pair. I has the first eggs already (with no success)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So far none of the photos show the red stripes that cross the flanks of A. piauiensis. The caudal spot on both of your fish are roughly oval. The caudal spot on A. piauiensis is roughly a half moon shape. The shape of the caudal spot and the odd shape of the postorbital stripe are more like that seen on A. sp. Xingu. Fright pattern is readily visible on fish captured in a net. Such pictures would be most valuable in a positive identification, since they show the diagnostic dark markings more distinctly.

Joost S

5 Year Member
It took me a while. The fish where not that stressed, I guess. Caught in the net was no problem for them. Outside the water did upset them, but photography was difficult. As soon as they hit the water the black markings disappeared again. These are pictures I was able to get.

The male does show a red band from the tail base to the head when he looses all color. It gets more narrow towards the head.

a_piauiensis_m_400_fr.jpg

a_piauiensis_v2_400_fr.jpg

Joost S

5 Year Member
I finally checked my DATZ :rolleyes:

My fish don't look like the A. piauiensis (A21). The male indeed lacks the red striping. It is a pity the DATZ doesn't show a female fish. The Xingu comes closer, but I am puzzled by two things: first the female always shows at least a black spot (also in brood coloration), which together with the rest of the lateral line forms a Z. First part of the line is higher than the last part. And secondly, the same bag with fish also contained this fish:

a_piau_v.jpg

Which is a different apisto. :)

I will try to get hold of the place of capture.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….