• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Juruensis

Avid Outdoorsman

I purchased these as wild caught A. Juruensis from Peru. I was assuming they were A. allpahuayo, but I'm beginning to wonder what I have. They are kept in a 120 gallon tank with a lot of leaf litter and wood. The water is heavily stained so I usually only get a brief look at them. This is the best photo I have been able to get. Any help identifying them would be greatly appreciated.

Avid Outdoorsman

The flash on the camera changed how the colors look a lot. The darker two show a dark blue/green color that I haven't seen associated with A. allpahuayo before. That may just be my inexperience showing. The features appear the same but the coloration is completely different. I would have guessed the darker two were females had it not been for the complete lack of any yellow at all? Am I correct in thinking they are all males?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Color mean little in apisto identification (have I written that before?:rolleyes:). A. alpahuayo has a longer, more prominent cheek stripe than A. juruensis. A. juruensis shows wider, more regular abdominal stripes and more even rows of spots on the caudal fin of the male. I can't see any of these features well enough on your photo to give a positive ID, but my guess is that they are A. alpahuayo, unless you paid BIG money for them. As for sex? Again, not enough detail (or information) for sexing.

Avid Outdoorsman

Here are a few more photos. They are stressed in the photos as I just caught them out of the 120 gallon to transfer them from one tank to another tank. Again they are not good photos.

ADC Nederland

This is the A. Allpahuayo. The guys from South America keep labeling them wrong. I had that same issue the first time I ordered the Juruensis from Peru and they send me the Allpahuayo. So that is likely what happened to you as well.

Nonetheless these are beautiful and it's one of those mistakes that isn't a bad thing... When the Allpahuayo is at full color and completely acclimated they are one the most beautiful Apisto's you'll ever have.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….