• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Huascar info?

I won a group of {7} juveniles at my club's November plant/fish auction and could not find much info on this species other than A. #177, common names of "Sunpin", and "Sunrise" and comes from northern Peru... Even the seller really has no info either. Is this a forgotten fish or just uncommon?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I won a group of {7} juveniles at my club's November plant/fish auction and could not find much info on this species other than A. #177, common names of "Sunpin", and "Sunrise" and comes from northern Peru... Even the seller really has no info either. Is this a forgotten fish or just uncommon?
Tom C (and Mark Breeze) collected them and Tom has some information on them:
<"Apistogramma cf. Huascar>" and <"Collecting in the Rio Tapiche drainage">.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 thanks for the info will check this link out!
Hi Mike,
I Do not have that copy yet. Erik O. put these in the Plant auction we held on Monday and nobody had a clue as for rarity they were so I snatched them up for a song!

Microman

5 Year Member
Yes Tom and I collected A.cf. huascar in the Rio Tapiche drainage in 2009 and also in the Rio Gálvez drainage, near Angamos on the Peru/Brazil border, in 2010. These areas are well outside, and on the opposite side of the Amazon, to the area of distribution named by Dr..Romer in his description of the species. We located them in very shallow and acidic black water jungle streams over fine white sand and layers of leaf litter. pH was under 5pH and conductivity almost unmeasurable. In both habitats A. agassizii were located not too far away.

WOW,
I feel very lucky to have even seen/won these at a local USA local club auction! I have these 7 juvies on fine white sand substrate with leaf litter and a few hard wood sticks, broad-leaf Java fern on the vertical.
The leaves I use are not from any LFS store/source but out of my own back yard, (NO pesticides) and are known here in America from what is called; the "Magnolia tree", They are down off the tree now, whole and brown, not green...The are picked out of the flowerbed only and NOT under foot!, or not out of the driveway!!!
I have tested these soaked in a (fish only food grade) bucket for at least 2 days then tested for any Ammonia build-up. "0" was the test result, + P.H. was 6.5 so in they went, cut up and full of baby earth worms!!!
The Apisto's love to hide and swim in and through them too! These will be replaced as needed til' it freezes out side! These leaves harbor mass amounts of micro earth worm fry, (they are tiny and white when born). I collect them just for this purpose and pick out the worms for live foods as weel for other tanks.
I do have A LOT of these available,,, and can be dried for shipping too.
soo IF anyone wants Magnolia tree leaves, PLEASE speak up??? <<<>>>> Before they freeze very soon, a nice leaf to use in ones tanks....beyond Catappa leaves, Natural and good for any fish that would need/appreciate these.

Update;
Since I have added;
4 Green-lined pencil fish
4 Corydoras "Concolor"
2 LDA-08 claro ancistrus
All are in a 16 Gallon bow-front tank.
ALL is well and happy so NO more to this tank!

gerald

5 Year Member
You could probably gather up an excess supply of those wormy magnolia leaves and keep them in a plastic storage bin indoors for a winter supply of worms. The worms might be a mix of earthworms and whiteworms (Enchytraeids) - both great fish food of course. The only trouble I find using magnolia leaves in fish tanks is that they release a lot of oily scum the first few days, so I soak them in a bucket or rain barrel for a few days before adding them to fish tanks. Post oak is my other favorite leaf for adding habitat structure.

YOU do have a point to this, BUT they have been down off the tree since mid-October and your right they are used as a medisinal use for their Oils.
It's SOO soogy here in the P.N.W. {10"+ of rain in 1.2 months time} WE should have had only 2.7" it has all leached out into the flowerbeds and have NOT seen any residue on the tank surface as well. Still plenty of NICE leaves to share + save for winter. PLEASE speak up as I will give these away& ship Anywhere If one pays just the shipping cost. You will get a big bag for your efforts as long as it fit into a medium flat rate USPS box.
I can post pics of the bed full of leaves as they lay now as well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….