• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. hongsloi - is this really a female?

johnsson_82

A couple of weeks ago my Apistogramma hongsloi female sadly died and my male was left alone. Last week I went to my local cichlidstore to buy two new females. The salesman was certain that they were females but however they were young indiviuals.

Now the two new fishes has been in my tank with my male for a week. The two females has begun to develope a reddish belly. My big male also show his big fins when the new individuals comes near him. Now I have my doubts if they're really are females or if they're young males.

Could someone take a look at theese pictures to help me figures this out? The first is my fullgrown male, the second one is a female/male, the third one my male toghether with one of the new individuals. What do you guys say?

http://i.imgur.com/6EwPZsT.jpg" alt="" title="Hosted by imgur.com

http://i.imgur.com/tQca2hS.jpg" alt="" title="Hosted by imgur.com

http://i.imgur.com/LzbPlfM.jpg" alt="" title="Hosted by imgur.com

merlin

5 Year Member
I have 2 males and a female of this species. None of the males look as good as your male. Stunning colours.
The 2nd pic looks possible for a female.
Derek

johnsson_82

I have 2 males and a female of this species. None of the males look as good as your male. Stunning colours.
The 2nd pic looks possible for a female.
Derek

Thank's, I'm very proud of that male. You're not sure it's a female, just possibly?

merlin

5 Year Member
Well I really do think its a female but I am far from being an authority. It looks brighter coloured than my female but then again I cant get my female to bond with any of the males so she is always in hiding.

Derek

Champ_17

5 Year Member
I have a problem with identifying Hongsloi too. but i think it's female.
since the sub dominant male should have more red color at belly than this
The picture is my Dominant male and sub dominant males
IMG_3510.JPG

johnsson_82

If the two small individuals to the left in the picture above are males, probably mine are males too. They look pretty much the same.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is the curse of domestic strains of fish. They have colors not seen on wild females. Based on their size, compared to the male, and shape of the tips of the dorsal/anal fins, I'd bet they were females, but not 100% sure. More like 75%.

johnsson_82

This is the curse of domestic strains of fish. They have colors not seen on wild females. Based on their size, compared to the male, and shape of the tips of the dorsal/anal fins, I'd bet they were females, but not 100% sure. More like 75%.

Mike, are you talking about the individuals at my linked photos at the top or the photo Champ_17 posted?

johnsson_82

I have a problem with identifying Hongsloi too. but i think it's female.
since the sub dominant male should have more red color at belly than this
The picture is my Dominant male and sub dominant malesView attachment 1294

I can see four individuals on your photo. One male in the background and one male in the foreground. The other two individuals, are they the subdominant males?

johnsson_82

I was wrong and you were right!

I've got my hongslois at work and when I came back today both of the females had turned yellow and guarding one coconutcave each. Now there is no doubt that they are females.

However, the two females have taking over the two sides of the tank (one coconut in each corner) and the male is stuck between. The females don't seem to be to aggresive to him yet, they are more aggressive to eachother when getting to close. My question is if I should remove the male to another tank? Last time my hongslois bred I didn't do that but then my male died. Don't know if the female killed him or if it was something else. She didn't seemed to be to aggresive to him but I don't know what happened when I wasn't there. I don't want to make the same mistake again and loose my beautiful male.

What do you think? Should I remove him instantly or should I wait and see how the females treating the male? If I do remove him, would he be ok living alone in a 30 L tank (30x30x35 cm) for a couple of weeks? Thats the only tank I have left for now.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….