• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. hongsloi, gephyra and macmasteri/viejita

madmike

A. macmasteri? Female?
IMG_1671_zps27a86626.jpg

A. hongsloi? Male?
IMG_1698_zpsd5fd3897.jpg

A. gephyra? Male?
IMG_1682_zpsca0ae9b5.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably right. I can't say what the first fish is since it shows almost no dark markings. The second photo shows a specimen of A. hongsloi, probably a male, but still too young to tell for certain. The last probably is A. gephyra, but I'd need to see the male broadside and displaying with a dark lateral band to be absolutely certain.

madmike

IMG_1672_zps81d839cf.jpg

Still a bad picture, but it's what I got available @ my phone right now. The gephyra is very shy and only comes out if forced by the male macmasteri. I will try to get some decent pictures tomorrow. What separates the male from the female regarding macmasteri and hongsloi? Any clear signs in the early stages?

madmike

I see. Well I will get you some better pictures once the tank is clear again, it got a bit messy with my remake. The gephyra seems much less shy now as I added catappa leaves, roots & more plants, also turned down the pump flow and covered the surface with pistias.

Regarding the gender of the hongsloi and macmasteri I'd say the hongsloi is definitely male and the macmasteri is a female judging by what you just described.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….