• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a. Hoignei - any tips or tricks?

Iormungand21

Hi Everyone,

I just recently received a lovely group of 5 wild caught apistogramma hoignei. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with keeping and breeding this species and if they have any insights as far as water parameters etc for that.

They seem to be settled in nicely, they are pretty young and all currently in a 20 long (but will be pairing them off when more confident on sexes). Im keeping in my "standard apisto parameters" at the moment. Which is RODI water with a light (imo) amount of tannins. In the 6.5ish ph range. 75F. With a little group of 8 nannostomus trifasciata

Added pic of fish, and tank
PXL_20230216_025303066.jpg
PXL_20230216_181105730.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member

Iormungand21

I collected A hoignei at two locations.
Location A: pH 5.4 TDS 20ppm Temp 84 degrees
Location B: pH 7.3 TDS 10ppm Temp 81 degrees
Thank you for this insight! That is a pretty wide pH range, and a good deal hotter than I expected. ill bump their temp up a little bit to the higher 70's.
I was already decreasing pH but will probably shoot for 6 or so. As my experiences have been that breeding is more likely at lower pH for the sp ive kept.

@dw1395
I definitely ingested Bob Wiltshire's article already, he has great stuff! Ill check out the UKAPS thread now.

anewbie

Thank you for this insight! That is a pretty wide pH range, and a good deal hotter than I expected. ill bump their temp up a little bit to the higher 70's.
I was already decreasing pH but will probably shoot for 6 or so. As my experiences have been that breeding is more likely at lower pH for the sp ive kept.

@dw1395
I definitely ingested Bob Wiltshire's article already, he has great stuff! Ill check out the UKAPS thread now.
I would focus more on hardness/tds than ph.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Thank you for this insight! That is a pretty wide pH range,

@dw1395
You can ignore the higher pH reading, because the TDS reading is so low, pH is just a moveable feast. If the second site had plants then the oxygen from photosynthesis will have raised pH.

Cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….