• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. elizabethae with T.candidi in one tank?

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi,

Recenty I have aquired a group of A. elizabethae (tank bred). I've ordered 3 males + 3 females and it seems that I've got what I want.

The same time I've also got same group of elizabethae and 2 pairs of T.candidi for my friend. This is 1st time I can look on candidi and (despite of their small but "sexable" size) they are really nice. They were always on my wish list so I've started to think about setting-up a tank that will house both species together. Till now I thought that this is black water species but I've found in CA1 that this is clearwater one. That is why it seems that keeping them together in one tank is not good idea.

I know that morphologically both species are very similar even if there are significant differences in general look.

Despite of it I'd like to know your opinions about such "combination" beacuse maybe I am not right in my conclusions

All your thoughts are very welcome.

Best regards

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the tank is very large, it is possible. For breeding, however, they require different conditions. A. elizabethae is best bred in 0º dH & <pH5 water @ 26ºC/79ºF. T. candidi, however, breeds in moderately soft water, a pH~5.5 @ 29ºC/84ºF.

Fatts

5 Year Member
I'm by no means one to argue with Mike, but I have a pair of T. candidi and a pair of A. elizabethae in a 20L (gal) and both pair have wigglers. I put them in there about 3 weeks ago as a "holding" tank before I traded them away, of course they thought it was the perfect time to spawn.

Water conditions are EC~40, PH ~5.5. I mix RO/DI with tap and add a little peat to get these numbers.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most people can't get A. elizabethae to successfully reproduce at pH >5. It probably has something to do with bacteria in the water (less in very acidic water). It is even possible to breed many blackwater species in pH values above 6 if the water is relatively sterile.

yob17

5 Year Member
I don't know that "it is even possible to breed many blackwater species in pH values above 6 if the water is relatively sterile".
You can most explain Mike ?

thank you

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It seems that blackwater species have adapted to waters with very low bacterial numbers, due to the highly acid water. In theses biotopes fungi replace bacteria in breaking down organics. This lack of bacteria tends to make them more suseptable to bacterial diseases in the aquarium - and their eggs, too. If the water is relatively free from bacteria, then some of the eggs will develop. Ingo Koslowski has bred many blackwater species in his local tap water, which is moderately hard. He acidifies it to around pH 6. Such spawns are very small, however.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….