• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cacatuoides - sudden redness on face and red tint on body

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hello

Here's a pic of my A. cacatuoides "Orange Flash". Just today, it has been acting as the king of the aquarium, swimming around until just a couple of hours ago, when I noticed it was looking miserable and hiding - with redness on its face, a slight red tint on its body and breathing rather heavily.

The female is currently in spawning mode.

Any ideas what this is? I'd like to take some corrective action if the problem is identified soon enough - Apistos don't seem to last very long once it is sick!

Thanks

ofred.jpg

fishgeek

localsised reddening can be due to a few things
i dont see any visible external damage so i would prehaps discount trauma, though bruising can occur with no broken surface

parasitic trauma unlikley to my knowledge at the nare's
and bacterial ecchymosis/petechiation would probably be the most likely imo

in this case, it is a judgement call on treatment and how the fish is, as to good clean water +/- antibacterial effective aganst (more commonly anaerobes)
i dont suppose there will be many effective easily sourced options in australia as i believe prescription laws are similar to the uk

andrew
proprietary broad spectrum antibacterial in a smaller vessel cant hurt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….